Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I need some insight if anyone has experience this type of leakage or defect of the weather strip on the rear windshield/outside.

My vehicle is 2016 Malibu LT 1.5L

I believe this is a manufacturing defect that I just discovered recently.
when I first purchased the vehicle I noticed there was a mildew smell in the trunk but haven’t inspected further at the time and couldn’t find any water stains.
the carpet is dark and hasn’t been wet at the time.
After a good downpour we had I noticed the same smell was stronger this time in my trunk, the carpet was wet which had stained some of the items I had in the trunk. That gave further confirmation I must have a leak.
I found little (mold?) specs all over the top part metal in the trunk. You have to look inside and tilt your head to see them.

Now when I inspected the car after this I realized that the a part of weatherstrip is pulled out from the rear windshield from outside.
this is very unusual since you cannot manually pull it out in that manner, I would assume. This strips are very slim and should be tucked well under the windshield.
I believe this is a manufacturing defect.

I took the car through to the wash place where I found water leaking inside my cabin, specifically on both passenger sides in the rear and on inside of the vehicle staining and damaging the top portion of the cabin and between the leather seats.
Thankfully, there is not much damage on the leather seats, a bit of discoloration, white stain, however my ceiling is stained on both sides.
I took a photo of the water dripping which mirrors where the weatherstrip on the outside is pulled out.
I have to take my car to the dealership I still have the warranty and extended warranty on it.
I looked through this forum and most people have issues of a third brake light or some screws not being tight enough but I cannot find my problem listed in this community.
Has any of you experienced this type of manufacturing defect or issue and what was the outcome?

I want to mention that I took my car to the dealership for another issue about a month ago, and noted to them I have a water leak.
They wanted to charge me about $150 per hour just to diagnose. And at that time I didn’t have this photos as evidence.
Now that I do, I already see there is a weatherstrip that is pulled, where the water is coming in, etc.
I don’t think it’s fair that they would still require me to diagnose when I already found the leak and have proof.

Thank you for your input!

Automotive design Fixture Material property Rim Tints and shades
Hood Automotive design Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Shade
Fixture Automotive design Personal luxury car Tints and shades Rim
Shoe Furniture Chair Leg Comfort
Window Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive design Fixture Material property Rim Tints and shades
Hood Automotive design Automotive mirror Automotive exterior Shade
Fixture Automotive design Personal luxury car Tints and shades Rim
Shoe Furniture Chair Leg Comfort
Window Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,453 Posts
I haven't read of a leak specific to the rear window but I'm sure it has happened especially with a car being 5+ years old. As you noted, it is usually the center high mount stop lamp that causes leaks on the quarter panels, headliner, and eventually into the trunk. It sure looks like the CHMSL in your pics. As time time has progressed a few have had leaks from the trunk seal. I hope you are able to get coverage under whatever warranty you have. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts