Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water leak caused residual mildew to the trunk liner. Will GM include or discount the trunk liner replacement with the water leak repair???

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
If the water leak was from the center high mount stop lamp there is a program for free replacement that runs for 6 years 72000 miles (whichever occurs first). Part of that program, step 11, is repair or replacement of any water damaged trim. If that applies, it would be covered.

Beyond the miles, the work will be at whatever cost is specified or whatever price is negotiated.

If you want to provide more info or get further advice please let us know what year/trim and how many miles you have on the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the water leak was from the center high mount stop lamp there is a program for free replacement that runs for 6 years 72000 miles (whichever occurs first). Part of that program, step 11, is repair or replacement of any water damaged trim. If that applies, it would be covered.

Beyond the miles, the work will be at whatever cost is specified or whatever price is negotiated.

If you want to provide more info or get further advice please let us know what year/trim and how many miles you have on the car.
2016 Chevy Malibu. Less than 50,000. Somehow the water leak caused water accumulation in & around the spare tire well in the trunk. The residual water from the leak penetrated into the carpet/liner in the trunk. It’s actually caused mildew & water stains on the carpet/liner in the truck.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
In most cases it is the CHMSL leaking in a 2016-2017. Hopefully that is the case here. Get that thing to a dealer and get it taken care of. If you want to read about the program the word "program" in my previous post is clickable. Make sure they know about the wet trim and mildew. They have a right to repair/clean it but the program also provides for replacement. I'd let them know about my cursed mold allergy and ask they replace it instead of cleaning. Keep in mind if it isn't the CHMSL leaking the repair may not be covered as the trunk strip can also leak just as it sometimes leaks in any car. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to the dealer already. They said the leak was coming from the third brake light.

According to the repair sheet, They replaced the brake light lamp kit & nuts. (Replaced the brake light gasket & nuts under special coverage). When I asked about the mildew & stains on the trunk liner, the response was ‘It’s not under warranty’.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
Take it back and ask that they honor the program. If not, contact Chevy Customer Assistance and let them know the dealer would not honor repair or replacement of the trim under that program. The program number and everything you might need to know is in that document I linked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it back and ask that they honor the program. If not, contact Chevy Customer Assistance and let them know the dealer would not honor repair or replacement of the trim under that program. The program number and everything you might need to know is in that document I linked.
Ok Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the ,same problem with my 2017 LT Malibu,it happen about last September,I notice water in my trunk.I thought it was the rubber gasket around the trunk lid but that was ok,2 days later I get a letter from Chevrolet about this water leak ,I called up Chevrolet and spoke to a service rep and he gave me a case number and told me to go to my local chevy dealer where I brought my Malibu.At the dealer I thought I would get the run around instead they got the same notice on my Malibu and they had it in the next day to fix my problem,They got rid of the mildew smell ,They detail the whole car inside and out at no charge,the detailer use something call the bomb it sucks out all the mildew in the car.When I pick up my car the next day it look and smell like a brand new car.

P.S they even replace my trunk mat also

1 - 8 of 8 Posts