Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

It is my first time posting on the site, so if I need to give any additional information or move the post, just let me know.

I have only had the car for a year, and it was passed down from a relative. Starting about six months ago, my 2013 Malibu began to leak after it rained. Only the driver side front and back floorboards were wet. No water or staining appeared to be on the door, roof, around the sunroof or, on the dashboard. The floorboards were not just a little wet; they were soaked. I got out the shop vac, sucked all the water out, then when on with my life. While vacuuming, I smelled and felt the liquid to confirm it was water and not coolant due to a heater core issue. Winter rolled around, and the problem seemed to disappear. Then once spring rains came, the problem started anew. I decided to take the side paneling out from the front driver's side and the carpet to get a better look. I sat in the car during a heavy rainstorm and saw the water pouring in from a hole in what appears to be the frame of the car (I have attached a photo of where I am talking about). I have no idea why water is not properly draining from this location, or if the water is even supposed to be there. Any information, help, or ideas would be much appreciated!!!!

The car does have a sunroof, but I hardly have used it. Like I mentioned before, it was previously owned, but to my knowledge, it was stored in a garage, so the problem never occurred for them.

I do not have a garage, but I have considered buying a cover if I can not quickly or cheaply fix this problem.

Car leak.jpg

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,490 Posts
On the outside of the roof, check the seam where the side and the roof meet. On Gen7 models there were a few members who reported finding that the seam sealer had failed toward the front of the seam, or that it was not done well enough to start with.

The plastic cover may not be able to be reused, so if you can lift it without breaking it, you may be able to glue it back down when you're done.

Does your car have a sunroof?

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I don't know where the drains are for the sun roof or where they dump out on the car but that might be where I start...I know on the Cadillac Forums that the CTS (2nd Gen) sun roof suffers from this issue...

long thread but perhaps something may translate to your car...

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know where the drains are for the sun roof or where they dump out on the car but that might be where I start...I know on the Cadillac Forums that the CTS (2nd Gen) sun roof suffers from this issue...

long thread but perhaps something may translate to your car...

Bill
thnk for the suggestion, very good thread. This seems to be my issue as well, but the drain tube does not seem to be in the same location and I am unsure as to how to access it.
I stuck a screwdriver into the hole that I circled in yellow on the original post and heard something rattling around. I assume that is my drain tube disconnected, now how to access it?

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Here's what the manual says........
Sunroof Drain Inspection and Cleaning

Drain Hose Routing

Note: If the headliner is wet DO NOT remove any interior trim. Do the Plugged Drain Hose test first.

A drain trough encircles the sunroof window panel and water is drained off by the drain hoses located at each corner of the housing. A drain channel spans across the sunroof module at the rear of the window panel and directs water into the trough.

1. The front drain hoses are routed down the windshield pillars and out the front of the pillar in the wheelhouse area. The front hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips.
  2. The rear drain hoses are routed through the rear pillars and out of the body side outer panel extension. The rear hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips.
Plugged Drain Hose

In some vehicle it may be necessary to clean the sunroof drain hose by applying air from the lower end of the drain hose outlet instead of the upper drain hose outlet.

If a waterleak has occurred check for a plugged sunroof module drain hose at each corner of drainage system by doing the following:

1. Open the sunroof window.
  2. Locate each sunroof module drain hose outlet area.
  3. With a visual look, ensure that all the hoses are attached to the sunroof module drain outlet.
  4. Cover all of the interior before air is apply to the drain hose.
  5. To test for blockage, pour a small container of water into the module housing drain trough. Check each corner to confirm the drain hose is draining water if not go to step number 7.
  6. Warning: Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.
Use compressed air, 241 kPa (35 psi) or less to blow out any drain hose that is plugged.

1. Test the system again.
  2. If remain plugged remove the blockage using the following steps.
  1. Push mechanics wire through the hose to remove the obstruction.
  2. Use compressed air in order to blow out any remaining material.
  1. If the hose remains plugged, check to see it is properly routed and does not have a kink. Refer to See: Removal and Replacement\Sunroof Housing Front Drain Hose Replacement Sunroof Housing Front Drain Hose Replacement or See: Removal and Replacement\Sunroof Housing Rear Drain Hose Replacement Sunroof Housing Rear Drain Hose Replacement.
Disconnected Drain Hose

Inspect the drainage system for disconnected drain hoses. Complete the following steps in order to obtain partial access to drain hoses and check for a disconnected hose.

1. Open the sunroof window panel.
  2. Lower the headliner as needed. Refer to See: Interior Moulding / Trim\Headliner\Service and Repair\Headlining Trim Panel Replacement (Without Sunroof) Headlining Trim Panel Replacement (Without Sunroof).
  3. Connect any disconnected hoses.
  4. Ensure that the rear drain hoses are properly routed in the metal roof slot and taped in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts