Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away for most of this month, and now am back.

But my Malibu is not. It was only with me since late October, the replacement for a lemon repurchased G6, and I enjoyed my time with it even with an issue we've been discussing in the problems thread. Loved the look, loved the interior, loved the space in a smaller package, loved the silky 3.6L, etc. Great car, and certainly a little more entertaining power wise than our still terrific 2.4L 2LT that remains, now over a year old.

For a variety of reasons, and due largely to the February GM incentives, I made a deal and traded it in last Friday just having crossed the 4k mark the day of delivery of my new ride. Bizarre for most to fathom having and trading in a new 2009 vehicle for another--or anything else--so soon, but I did and I'm happy. Especially so that we still have our original '08 Malibu and it continues to be a joy;)

What did I get? Well, after 2.5 years and it being my "first" official car, with my LT1 V8 powered and slightly modified Cadillac Fleetwood, it had been a big change--not a bad one per say--going to smaller, FWD cars and, then, too sadly also having problems particularly with the G6. The Malibu was then a significant upgrade too from even the G6, despite it only just being a little more than 3 months old too, and I loved a lot about it...but it still didn't fully click with me. At least not to the extent that what I was paying every month, although almost. Part of it was a drivetrain issue I was having and in the midst of trying to figure out for myself and others here with GM, although intermittent and certainly not valid at trade time, but the larger part was just the car itself from things like the seats that ended up, however unexpectedly, not agreeing with me to the drive...however smooth, quiet, and still sharp the response in every way. Something just didn't click, and as a car guy, I like the click;)

So back to it...I ended up with something another member also did not long ago, and now have an '09 Pontiac G8 GT. Still a GM, still a sedan, but oh so different, and yes, a more expensive, RWD, etc. car in the first place. This was something I always wanted from the first time I saw them, and got close at Malibu shopping time but just didn't like the V6 version as much as I liked the V6 Malibu. Before one of the big points of getting rid of my Cadillac was "why the heck do I need or want a V8?", among others, so a GT still seemed nuts...then I drove one. A beast, but a silent one, and with cylinder deactivation and a very, very strong 6-spd, an unexpectedly efficient one too. Combine that with some attractive February GM incentives, a dealer out of state who was the best I've ever dealt with, a great trade deal, and the "perfect" G8...and last Friday the 13th I dropped off the Malibu and drove home in my new G8. Pacific Slate (love the color...big time) GT with Premium (power, heated, leather) and Sport (19" wheels, special steering wheel & pedals) packages.

So, there we have it. Another off to a G8...but we still have our '08 Malibu, it continues to impress after a year, and I'll be around for some time to come;) I do miss the 'Bu, in ways, am glad to have stayed with GM again...and certainly hope my new car'ing is done for a while!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Beautiful ride!!! I love that Pacific Slate color. Its a great mix between a blue and a gray.

If you want to make the car MORE efficient get it tuned. The DoD actives when the throttle percentage is around 4%. That is a TINY amount of throttle. There have been some guys who have had that changed the with a tune and are netting around 30-31 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
749 Posts
OH MY GOD BEACH YOU TRADED IN YOUR TWIN WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING ITS BROTHER?!! HIM AND I ARE SO UPSET WITH YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

((Pretend these are all in CAPS since I'm pretty sure it's going to capitalise only the first letters...))

Nice new car but I am in SHOCK!!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats Beach! That's a great story. Did you have any buyer's remorse with the G8? I find that if buy a car that's something I want, rather than what I need, I get a little buyer's remorse. But the feeling goes away after a couple weeks and I'm enjoying my new ride.

I considered the G8 when I picked up my '09 Bu last month. In the end, I preferred the styling on the Bu, but the G8 is a really nice ride. Please let us know your driving impressions when you have a chance. Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful ride!!! I love that Pacific Slate color. Its a great mix between a blue and a gray.

If you want to make the car MORE efficient get it tuned. The DoD actives when the throttle percentage is around 4%. That is a TINY amount of throttle. There have been some guys who have had that changed the with a tune and are netting around 30-31 MPG on the highway.
Precisely the plan;)

As I bought it 2 hours away, my first drive was the 2 hour highway trek home and after that, I used a quarter of a tank and got low to mid 20's doing 70'ish.

Being that Delaware is flat, straight, and everyday is just feathering the throttle, it's in AFM 4-cyl mode ALL the time...almost constantly, actually. But then a little more of a prod, and woosh, smooth V8 power.

I'm planning a premium fuel tune with revised engine and trans parameters, as despite the premium, at least one of the biggest tuners for them achieves 2-3mpg better setting them up as such, so the premium cost is a wash. We'll see. I'm still just dabbling in ideas.

OH MY GOD BEACH YOU TRADED IN YOUR TWIN WITHOUT EVEN CONSULTING ITS BROTHER?!! HIM AND I ARE SO UPSET WITH YOU RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

((Pretend these are all in CAPS since I'm pretty sure it's going to capitalise only the first letters...))

Nice new car but I am in SHOCK!!
Shock here, too, everyday I look at it. I miss things about the Malibu but it just, never, clicked with me for whatever reason. Beautiful lines, awesome interior, silky 3.6L and it impressed riders but it just didn't feel at home. Still enjoy our '08 2LT, even though I just ride in it from time to time, so I'm glad we still have one...it is a GREAT car.

Congrats Beach! That's a great story. Did you have any buyer's remorse with the G8? I find that if buy a car that's something I want, rather than what I need, I get a little buyer's remorse. But the feeling goes away after a couple weeks and I'm enjoying my new ride.

I considered the G8 when I picked up my '09 Bu last month. In the end, I preferred the styling on the Bu, but the G8 is a really nice ride. Please let us know your driving impressions when you have a chance. Congrats!!
No. That's the strange part. I DID have buyer's remorse with the Malibu, though. I originally bought a new '08 G6 GT coupe that turned out to be a lemon. When I was given the choice of a new car by GM because of that, I had it down to a loaded Malibu and a base G8 by price comparo, and both due to how much I enjoyed our '08 'Bu and how I liked the V6 Malibu in 2LT or LTZ trim more, in a few ways, than a base V6 G8--that was my choice. I really did like it, but it didn't take me much time at all to realize something just wasn't right...I always felt like I was using someone else's car, for some reason. Odd.

Awesome car and the 3.6L was great, even with the issue I had and was having with the drivetrain shudder from time to time, but I think when it just came down to it...the seats, the FWD, etc. just didn't work for me, at least not with something I was going to pay on for years to come.

I'm only a week and a half into the G8...but it's working. I had a whole new feeling this time when I drove off the lot.

Still...at least I shall stay here and our '08 is doing very well. I even have a few accessories I never used to sell, from new splash guards to a full set of unused Weathertech liners. Thanks for the comments guys!

·
Registered
573 Posts
PM me about the weathertech liners!!! We are looking for some for our LTZ so we dont get the good placemats nasty.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Well, can't say I anticipated this turn of events, beach :) But I can definitely understand the frustration.
Anyway, congrats on the new ride!

I must say that after 2 rather unsuccessful GM cars I was a little surprised you'd give GM another chance...I would definitely defected at that point, probably to Toyota :)

But anyhow, hope the g8 works out for you. Btw, I find that the body shape is similar to Malibu, at least going by the pic you posted.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PM me about the weathertech liners!!! We are looking for some for our LTZ so we dont get the good placemats nasty.
Will do. I need to get rid of them. And funny as it may sound, despite the intended purpose, dust never touched them let alone shoes...because I kept another set of vinyl mats over top of them;) So they're, uh, new in box to say the least and tan.

If you happened to keep the cargo net, please let me know and I'll buy it from you!
Sorry, nope. The car had the 2 side nets and anything as such that was in it, stayed in it at trade. The factory original Premium Mats, in their bag, included.

Well, can't say I anticipated this turn of events, beach :) But I can definitely understand the frustration.
Anyway, congrats on the new ride!

I must say that after 2 rather unsuccessful GM cars I was a little surprised you'd give GM another chance...I would definitely defected at that point, probably to Toyota :)

But anyhow, hope the g8 works out for you. Btw, I find that the body shape is similar to Malibu, at least going by the pic you posted.
I can't explain it, really, and I would go for anything--it's pretty clear I have some flexible budget room too--but I just continue to stay with GM vehicles. Not sure why, they just do it for me, and so do the dealers locally and elsewhere in most cases. Cars like the Malibu and G8 sort of explain it, too.

There was a time where I almost went VW, among others, but never really even drove any because as much as I liked about them, they were still imports, I'd have to make quite a trek for any service, didn't know the dealers, etc.

The G8 has a distinct look about it, but both are very taut, well sculpted sedans. The G8 is significantly larger and feels positively huge inside, for sure, plus has large, deep side sills, etc. and gives off a different aura. One thing that got me initially and helped push me to Malibu was the interior, as visually it isn't the most impressive at least compared to the swoopy Malibu, but it's built like a tank, has very teutonic textures, materials, etc. and feels like the import it is. Well, that, and uh the driving experience...it's firm boned RWD sports sedan for sure, and the 6.0L/6-spd is fabulous. Not the silky scream of the 3.6L in the Malibu, but the most hushed, silent powertrain I've ever had in a vehicle and the speed it can put down at barely any RPM, and especially when you're already cruising and need to blast forward, is awesome...in a silent, wow, that was quick, kind of a way. Much more pleased with the different 6-spd combined with the big torquey V8 here than I ever was with the Malibu's but that's comparing apples to oranges, and the 'Bu was fun and I loved the sounds it made.

Thanks for the well wishes again guys;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.