Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tell me what brand name motor oil you guys use in the 3.6 L engine? And do you use conventional or synthetic? Thanks Guys

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't have a car with the 3.6L VVT V6, but I can say that Castrol GTX and Castrol GTX High Mileage every 3,000 miles along with good maintenance have made my cars last freaking forever.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I run any of the major brand syntheticss. Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, and Penzoil. I usually get about 15k on the oil, and change the filter once around 7k into it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I change every 3000 miles and use only Mobil 1 Syntheic Extended Service and a K&N 1017 high performance oil filter.

The M1 oil has double the amount of synthetics of normal mobil 1. I have a cousin who races cars, and thats all they use. Good enough for my 'bu! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I change every 3000 miles and use only Mobil 1 Syntheic Extended Service and a K&N 1017 high performance oil filter.

The M1 oil has double the amount of synthetics of normal mobil 1....
If regular Mobil 1 is already completely "100% Synthetic" oil How can the Extended service M1 be "200%" synthetic ??? :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use premium Dino Oil [Shell for now] in the Malibu and will change it every 3k to 4k.

I run motorcycle specific Synthetic oil in my air-cooled twin and my offroad 4 stroke race bikes. Change interval - on the twin 2x/3x per season. Every race/ride on the 4T singles.

I run Shell Rotella[Heavy Duty/Dino oil] in my 2 stroke offroad race bike gear boxes. Change interval - every race or about 65 miles which ever comes first.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Call me crazy, but I run the Super-Tech Synthetic from Wal-mart. It is the cheapest synthetic out there and I have never had a problem. My brother and I have been using the stuff for years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in the Malibu and in my Z28,I have no complaints!

·
Registered
421 Posts
As long as the oil you use matches the specifications listed in the manual it really doesn't matter, but I also use Mobil1 Full Synthetic in all of my vehicles starting with their first oil changes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mobil 1 in all my vehicles
you void the warrety on a vette or a Trailblaser ss if you dont use mobil 1 in addition to other vehicles.
why did GM do this? because they want the best oil for the high performance vehicles
so by use useing that high qualiy oil we are pretty much pampering our engines for years and years of extened life

·
Registered
67 Posts
ANY namebrand oil that meets GM 6094M specs (a special specification for cold temperature pumpability) meets ALL warranty criteria for the Malibu. Dino or synthetic. You'd have a hard time finding an oil that DOESN'T meet this specification.

GM's seperate requriement for synthetic oil is 4718M.

Now, any dino (regular conventional) 5W-30 API SM oil will be more than adequate for the FULL life of the oil life monitor. There are TONS of UOAs (used oil analysis) floating around on the internet to validate that. 3000 mile oil changes are a waste of money and resources, plain and simple. If you are unfamiliar with how the OLM works, I'd do some reasearch before you make your judgement. Just type in "GM Oil Life Monitor" on Google, and surf away.

As for Mobil 1, there are PLENTY of other synthetic oils that meet ALL of GMs specifications for synthetic oil that are equal to Mobil 1. Just because GM uses Mobil 1 doesn't mean that's the only thing you can use. That's because GM gets an incentive from ExxonMobil for using them as a factory fill. Mobil 1 is a great oil, but there are tons of other alternatives that turn out equal or better wear numbers over the life of the OCI.

If you aren't already aquainted, head over to

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Hands down, the best site for oil related info and questions.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If regular Mobil 1 is already completely "100% Synthetic" oil How can the Extended service M1 be "200%" synthetic ??? :)
I should have said double the amount of lubricant additives or something. I forget the exact term but its like Mobil 1 on steroids.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I should have said double the amount of lubricant additives or something. I forget the exact term but its like Mobil 1 on steroids.
Funny thing about Mobil 1 EP. When it was orginally released, it was a pure 100% Grp IV PAO oil. Awesome basestock with a beefed up Mobil 1 additive pack. It's intention was to compete with Amsoil for the "15000" drain intervals. In it's orginal form it was a SL form and did NOT meed API standards for the "starburst" gasoline engine category. Original UOA reports were stellar, significantly lower wear numbers and insoluable control over regular Mobil 1. Somewhere along the lines not long after Hurricane Katrina, Mobil 1 EP magically was reformulated to meet API SM cagegory and earn the starburst API certification. Speculation became that Mobil 1 began combining Grp III (hydrocracked dino base oil) with the Grp IV PAO. While that can't be confirmed or denied, the UOAs and VOAs did show some changes. Most UOAs now show no marked improvement over the regular formulation of Mobil 1 up to 10000 mile OCIs. Not many people push past that to find the difference. All the UOAs show the typical high iron wear that most Mobil oils exhibit. The VOA (virgin oil analysis) does indicate a different additive pack when compared the regular Mobil 1, but it doesn't appear to change much when put to the test.

When I look and Mobil 1 EP, I see ANOTHER reformulated blended synthetic oil with an extra price tag. Mobil may keep secrets about their formulation, but the one thing we can do is examine their product in both virgin (VOA) and used form (UOA). And what I see, along with many other people, is an oil that doesn't really meet it's claims.

Exxon/Mobil does have one thing going for it... MARKETING. The average consumer sees Mobil 1 EP, reads the label and thinks if some "SuperSyn" is good, then 50% more must be better, right? You decide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.