Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car home in the rain today and popped the hood only to find it soaked under there. What is the deal wit dat?? Anyone put a seal on theirs??

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't get it.. what's a hood seal?? I've never popped the trunk in or after a rainstorm..

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
This is pretty typical for most cars...the hoods are not sealed fully like a door or the trunk, simply because it's open as it is all around the bottom and sides.

Usually the most that's ever wet, though, is just the cowl area around the latch right up front...but again, typical. Cars are like this.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Beach my wicked cool twin.. tell me what a hood seal is? Isn't the hood the seal?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't know of any car that has a "hood seal"... Like, around trunks and such? Wouldn't that just trap even more heat.

Anyway, don't worry about water, it won't hurt anything anyway.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I guess I'll just let my bumper to bumper warranty do its job for me then.
Is your car actually missing a part or do you just not like how it is sealed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FOR WHAT? There's nothing missing from under the hood! No one seals the hood!
But they do design water channels for water to drain out. If you open your hood there is nothing at all for water to do but get everywhere. Its a BS design. My vette is all nice and sealed and so is my Tahoe. It can be done and should have been done.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do recall the Monte Carlos had a rubber piece that extended down from the fabric hood liner to prevent water from getting directly in to the engine compartment. That car's hood extended down to the grille area.

The Malibu's hood seam is on the top. the front bumper area rounds up forming a seam on top of the car. Maybe with this design less water gets in there.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The only substantial water that's ever been noticeable in mine is right on the inset cowl area in front around the latch, and only after washed, etc. Otherwise, nada, and just like every other car we've had. Water may stand there, but that's mainly it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm still confused as to why you are worried about water even getting into there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, the engine's covered up pretty well, in fact, practically everything under the hood has a plastic cover. It won't do any damage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is everyone forgetting the most common thing. Even if there was a seal on the hood most of the water doesn't come in that way. The open bottom or the front grille is where most of it would come it. If it sealed water tight that would most likely be bad for the intake, heat, and possible fuel vapor is any got trapped in there for some odd reason.

·
Registered
472 Posts
But they do design water channels for water to drain out. If you open your hood there is nothing at all for water to do but get everywhere. Its a BS design. My vette is all nice and sealed and so is my Tahoe. It can be done and should have been done.

The real question is, Why????

Bill

·
Registered
493 Posts
The real question is, Why????

Bill
I'm with Bill. Do you HONESTLY think your Vette or Tahoe doesn't get wet under the hood? Come on, anytime you drive in wet conditions water still gets up inside the engine compartment. Evidently Chevrolet DIDN'T see a need to seal the hood on this car and a MAJORITY of cars and trucks DO NOT have a seal on the hood. Oh another thing water in the form of condensation gets inside the engine itself. Would you be concerned with that tid bit of information?:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.