Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you take the car to getnew tires the mechanics will re-install the pressure monitors to correctly read on the new tires. I am not sure where they hook up, this is just what I have been told.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been told that it is part of the valve stem which is one of the reasons why tire change rates are going to go up. It is more time consuming to transfer these pressure monitors for a tire change. When you have your tires changed twice a year like I do (for snow) I hope the price doesn't increase too much!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are attached to the valve stem and the attached link will tell you more about them and also show you what they look like.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=44#sensors
Great info - my GP has the indirect system, so this is all new to me. I was reading a car review in Automobile magazine and they mentioned a price for changing summer tires to winter tires, and there was an additional cost for remounting the tire sensors, but I can't remember the cost.

So do these tire sensors eventually wear out or run out of battery and I wonder what they cost to replace?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some irony for you:

Today on my commute home, my warning sensor for tire pressures goes off in my GP. Given that this warning has saved me several times and that a tire was going down each time the sensor warning went off, I pulled over at a rest area to check my tire pressures. The fronts were a little high at 35 psi while the backs were closer to 30 psi. So I did not have a tire going down, just a differential that was enough to trigger the warning.

If I had the Malibu system, I would have known precisely the tire pressures and would not have had to pull over.

Here's a question - with the Malibu system, does it warn you if one of the tires dips below a certain psi? Or it just lists each tire pressure and you have to monitor that for problems?

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Here's a question - with the Malibu system, does it warn you if one of the tires dips below a certain psi? Or it just lists each tire pressure and you have to monitor that for problems?
Yes. It will alert and indentify which tire is low and will also alert you when the TPM System itself is not functioning properly.

At all other times it continuously monitors the actual pressure of each tire. It will display that information on the DIC, when selected.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've been told that it is part of the valve stem which is one of the reasons why tire change rates are going to go up. It is more time consuming to transfer these pressure monitors for a tire change. When you have your tires changed twice a year like I do (for snow) I hope the price doesn't increase too much!
I take it you have a 2nd set of wheels with your winter tires???
I don't see any reason to remove the valve stem just for a tire change.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I take it you have a 2nd set of wheels with your winter tires???
I don't see any reason to remove the valve stem just for a tire change.
I don't yet. I haven't found a good set of 18" snow tires, so I may need to buy new rims and tires; with that said I'll need a second set of monitors. Either way this is going to be expensive.

I'm not sure why they would need to remove the valve stem either, it may be that they have to alter how they remove the tires from the rim. Just relaying what I was told by the service department.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't yet. I haven't found a good set of 18" snow tires, so I may need to buy new rims and tires; with that said I'll need a second set of monitors. Either way this is going to be expensive.
I have a friend in Texas with a new Chevy truck and has two sets of wheels and tires. He put monitors in his spare wheels and said it did not cost much.
He makes a lot more money than I do, so we may have different thoughts on what does not cost much.:D

Awhile back there was a member trying to sell a set of LTZ wheels.

I found the Thread for the member who is selling his wheels.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1506&highlight=18+LTZ+wheels+for+sale#post1506

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did see that thank you! However, if I am going to buy another set of wheels they will be 16's or 17's to hopefully offset the cost or availability of 18" snows.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I won't tackle Vermont winters in any vehicle without good snow tires. I am not a believer of All-Seasons (especially not the Goodyear tires that come on the Malibu). I have never come close to going off the road with snow tires. I usually get studded snows as well.

A quick story... I was heading to work one morning in the middle of winter; the interstate was snow covered but it was only an inch deep. I had a car behind me that I saw do a 180 in my rear-view. I don't know what he had for tires but I was doing 65 mph and never felt a slip...

·
Registered
73 Posts
What if or is there a way to bypass the TPMS alltogether.... We have gone 100 years without this nonsense.

THis is just some Joan Claybrook stuff and likely an outgrowth of the Ford Explorer rollovers.

What does the computer do ...and can it be turned off with the electronic scan tools available.

IM sure the hackers out there are at work now on this.

What we really need to be watching out for is the black boxes under the seat that record everything you do for the last 30 seconds or so. How fast, what gear, seat belt use, direction of travel and g-forces. It will be used in court cases...for you or AGAINST you, so beware.

·
Registered
701 Posts
MrBill...

Good Points....Wonder if there will be a way to deactivate these boxes or what laws surronding them will be.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What we really need to be watching out for is the black boxes under the seat that record everything you do for the last 30 seconds or so. How fast, what gear, seat belt use, direction of travel and g-forces. It will be used in court cases...for you or AGAINST you, so beware.[/QUOTE]

:D:D:D :rolleyes:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tire pressure monitors have saved me several times from getting stuck with a flat on the highway, or possibly from having a blowout

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.