Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've had my 17 for almost 2 yrs and 25000 miles, it is holding steady at 41.6
That's with 75% highway on an often gusty, windy, hilly route.

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
Really impressive results. I wish I had gotten the hybrid everytime I see these posts. My 1.5T golf cart is holding at 33 which is decent but the car isn't fun at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really impressive results. I wish I had gotten the hybrid everytime I see these posts. My 1.5T golf cart is holding at 33 which is decent but the car isn't fun at all.
Agreed, my lifetime average on my 1.5L is 30 mpg.

BTW, I would suggest checking out the Vitesse throttle controller. It makes the pedal act more linear, which makes the car much more fun to drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,576 Posts
Agreed, my lifetime average on my 1.5L is 30 mpg.

BTW, I would suggest checking out the Vitesse throttle controller. It makes the pedal act more linear, which makes the car much more fun to drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
There's your 3 mpg lifetime difference right there! :grin:

If you're going to spend money making the car more fun, I'd start with the Trifecta tune. You can actually gain fuel economy from a proper tune. The same is not true for the throttle controller. It's an interesting modification part, but to me it's a band-aid solution masking deficiencies of the factory calibration.

·
Registered
310 Posts
According to my Fuelly tracking, I have 41.9 mpg for my last ten fill ups. Ive tracked 60 fuel ups over 29,255 miles with 55% city driving.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I have 13k miles with a lifetime average of 42 mpg. My average monthly mileage peaks at 45 mpg in summer, falling to 38 mpg in winter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
43 MPG, about 16 months, over 16,000 miles.

Summer mileage is considerably better than driving in the winter with the snow tires on it. Almost 20% of the summer miles are with a bike on the back of it. I drive gently and try to maximize MPG's. It is the only car I've ever owned that I don't hit the overall EPA numbers with.

43 MPG's (overall) are the most (by far) that I've ever gotten out of a car, and is more than some motorcycles gave me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2016 model. 42 MPG over 31,000 miles (75% stop and go driving). I find I get at least 40 MPG with stop and go driving, 45 MPG highway driving and 50 MPG county road driving. The sweet spot seems to be 50 to 60 MPH. During the coldest winter months my MPG drops by about 10% (I live in Ohio). I have also noticed that my mileage suffers a lot with short trips (less than 5 miles). I am generally happy with the mileage but I will say that I was definitely disappointed that I wasn't able to get the advertised city MPG. I bugged the dealer for months thinking there must be something wrong with the car. Chevy must be doing something very unrealistic when they do the EPA tests.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone! I have had my 2017 Mali Hybrid since March 2017 and have 33,000 miles on it. It has been averaging about 41 mpg. Only problems have been a little water leaking in the trunk, remote receiver junked out, and some software updates. Great car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really disappointed in performance and mileage. Mostly small town driving, not a hilly area. Lifetime average 39 MPG at 6k miles, that's with me coasting everywhere I go. Not a happy camper here. My VW Diesel 6 speed manual was a fun to drive car and got better than this go cart. 2018 Malibu hybrid.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
@KirstenSS65
Dude, it was a diesel! Even though technology for gasoline engines has really advanced a lot, as far as I'm aware a smoker will get better mileage than a gasser.

You might as well complain that your F350 would haul a load of lumber to your cabin in the woods and not cost near as much as using a Mack!

Comparisons are valid only when they compare like to like. The MH is not a diesel, so don't expect 50-60 lifetime mpg from it. My lifetime average with my Gen7 3.6L V6 (non-turbo) is between 20 and 21 mpg. I can eek out over 34 mpg on a trip if I drive 60 mph, but otherwise I usually get around 27, and considering that the EPA is 17 city/26 hwy, it's performing as it should. What is the rating for your MH?

If you're truly not happy with it, kick it to the curb and go get another diesel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@DrivenDaily I understand what you are saying but when the Hybrid is quoted at 43 freeway and 49 city but I am getting less than that by far it is extremely frustrating. I was sold something that doesn't exist. False advertisement? Class action lawsuit comes to mind on this.

·
Administrator
16,881 Posts
The MH is supposed to get 49 in the city? Wow! It's even more "wow" that it gets less on the freeway. That's not how gassers have been, but it's a hybrid, so that electric technology must be helping a lot in town.

Have you discussed this with the dealership yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it is very backwards of typical what we have been used to. I was so excited to be buying a vehicle that was supposed to get this amazing MPG and I have always been able to squeeze extra mileage out of my vehicles by learning to drive them efficiently. However this one is completely not working for me on the mileage front. I have contacted the dealership regarding MPG issue and they explained that the testing is done in a vacuum tube. Even so all vehicles are tested this way and like I said I have never gotten less than what the vehicle was rated on the window. I have had several noises coming from the vehicle already and few recalls that have gotten taken care of. Something is off with my car, I am thinking if it doesn't come back from the dealership this time 100% I will be going for a lemon law on it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Really disappointed in performance and mileage. Mostly small town driving, not a hilly area. Lifetime average 39 MPG at 6k miles, that's with me coasting everywhere I go. Not a happy camper here. My VW Diesel 6 speed manual was a fun to drive car and got better than this go cart. 2018 Malibu hybrid.

FWIW, I had a 2000 Jetta five speed with the ALH TDI. In my daily driving, 40% freeway and 60% street, I averaged 38mpg over several years. Of course, it could not fit anyone behind me as I needed the seat all the way back so I could fit my knees under the steering wheel to engage the clutch.

On the Malibu hybrid, I routinely get 41-42 mpg driving the same routes. I don't have to shift 100+ times on the way to work, it is WAY quieter, and it doesn't stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 38 Posts