Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
FWIW, I had a 2000 Jetta five speed with the ALH TDI. In my daily driving, 40% freeway and 60% street, I averaged 38mpg over several years. Of course, it could not fit anyone behind me as I needed the seat all the way back so I could fit my knees under the steering wheel to engage the clutch.

On the Malibu hybrid, I routinely get 41-42 mpg driving the same routes. I don't have to shift 100+ times on the way to work, it is WAY quieter, and it doesn't stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wish I was getting better with my MH than I was with my VW but not the case for me. Mine was Passat 2003 with tons of space for my family of long legged people a giant trunk and it didn't smell or sound like a diesel in the least. I miss the torque and feeling of safety I had in that car. The MH is definitely not as solid feeling or safe feeling to me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My lifetime mileage is still about the same at 41.7. I drive about 75% highway, so it's what I expect. My highway driving isn't anywhere close to level highway with lots of hills and windy gusty conditions.

Hybrids get higher mileage in the city when they are able to operate in EV mode more.
The vast majority of vehicles are going to get the city rating combined, because most of us don't drive in the nearly perfect conditions the tests are performed in.

My TDI Passat got about 43-44 under the same conditions, but the driving characteristics of the Malibu are better all around. It has more usable power at highway speeds, and really has more power all around.

I notice with the Malibu that gentle driving really doesn't result in higher numbers. I have found it best to get the car up to speed quicker, then maintain that speed. This allows it to stay in EV mode longer.

I don't know of any other sedan that has this much power, performance, and economy.
I haven't driven them all but the driving dynamics of the Malibu far exceed the driving dynamics of the Camry hybrid, even though in a drag race the Camry edges it out slightly. It's the part throttle characteristics that are 90+% of driving conditions that I care about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You won't average 49 in the city; it's impossible (unless all your trips are downhill). I don't know how Chevy is doing the EPA testing but it has no resemblance to the real world. I bugged the dealer for months on my 2016 hybrid. Their "diagnostics" claim the car meets specs. I can get about 40 in the summer if I drive very carefully (mid 30's in the winter). With highway and country driving I am pretty much getting the EPA rating; its just stop and go city driving that is very disappointing. False advertising?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My lifetime mileage is still about the same at 41.7. I drive about 75% highway, so it's what I expect. My highway driving isn't anywhere close to level highway with lots of hills and windy gusty conditions.

Hybrids get higher mileage in the city when they are able to operate in EV mode more.
The vast majority of vehicles are going to get the city rating combined, because most of us don't drive in the nearly perfect conditions the tests are performed in.

My TDI Passat got about 43-44 under the same conditions, but the driving characteristics of the Malibu are better all around. It has more usable power at highway speeds, and really has more power all around.

I notice with the Malibu that gentle driving really doesn't result in higher numbers. I have found it best to get the car up to speed quicker, then maintain that speed. This allows it to stay in EV mode longer.

I don't know of any other sedan that has this much power, performance, and economy.
I haven't driven them all but the driving dynamics of the Malibu far exceed the driving dynamics of the Camry hybrid, even though in a drag race the Camry edges it out slightly. It's the part throttle characteristics that are 90+% of driving conditions that I care about.
Thank you for your input this is the first helpful thing I have read about the MH. I am still in awe of the happiness everyone seems to have about the MPGs of this car I just don't have the same feelings, it's not even close to what it is rated. The EPA is causing issues in the reality of MPG expectations. This car just misses the mark for me so far. :serious:

·
Registered
5 Posts
My average mpg is back up 44.7 winter driving , this is with driver and 1 passenger I was expecting under this because of cold weather heater use, lights etc.
I did have one mpg week of 39.5 this was with 4 adults in the car heavy rain and wind variable free way speeds 60mph with some country roads at 35-50 mph. 2 hours down 2 hours back on that trip plus a few days of just general driving afterwards . These are my actual miles driven and gallons at the pump . Its been my experience that my physical gallons and actual miles driven are coming in with slightly better mpg's than the systems projections . I am also using the onstar / mychevy link for viewing driving activity scores: So far in Feb. _93 Jan._94 Dec._90 Nov._89 Oct._89 Sept._91 Aug._94 July_94 June_93 May_93 . Check out your driving scores if your having issues with mpg with your hybrid it shows aggressive throttle , hard braking and at what times .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My highest 25 MPG average is at 78, so apparently I inched along in traffic for a while with the car staying in EV mode.
The Malibu does have the ability to stay in EV mode for quite a while obviously.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
My highest 25 MPG average is at 78, so apparently I inched along in traffic for a while with the car staying in EV mode.
The Malibu does have the ability to stay in EV mode for quite a while obviously.
On flat city streets, my Hybrid will drive on battery for about 1 1/2 miles. The best mileage I've had on my Malibu is when descending a stretch of the Cascade mountains. I hit 100 mpg over a 30 mile stretch of road. Regen is a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just over 2 years, 81,000 miles...my lifetime is just under 42. Had a 09 VW TDI w/340,000 before they bought back before "dieselgate" that had about the same as a lifetime. As I miss the performance of the TDI, I'm happy with this Hybrid

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just over 2 years, 81,000 miles...my lifetime is just under 42. Had a 09 VW TDI w/340,000 before they bought back before "dieselgate" that had about the same as a lifetime. As I miss the performance of the TDI, I'm happy with this Hybrid
Glad to see a higher mileage owner. Just wondering if you've had any significant problems during those miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to see a higher mileage owner. Just wondering if you've had any significant problems during those miles.
The only issue I have had is a flat tire the day after I bought it (screw in it), and just last Friday, the CEL came on with a P015B code (o2 sensor). Dealer said 2 weeks for part, guess vehicle still sort of new, still runs the same. I also had the parking brake light come on a few times after starting, but if I engaged the parking brake then release, it cleared (maybe just needs engaged once in a while) and had a warning with the TPM not sensing a tire, but cleared after a few miles. I drive 135 miles RT for work, and get tires rotated every oil change, and they still look almost new. Overall, very happy with the car, just wish it had a trunk release inside, but its not a deal breaker

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm still at 41.7 at 33000 miles. I had a keyless entry issue when the car was new, but no problems since.
I drive about 75% highway in conditions that are hilly, gusty, and windy. The car does get the rated mileage when I drive it in the city, but I'm not driving enough in the city for it to raise the overall average much.
The driveabilty and performance far exceed hybrids that are strictly parallel like the Prius. No power or performance variations at all with the Malibu.
Voltec performance is very good. I hope to see GM expand Voltec throughout its fleet. there was talk of starting with the Equinox. We'll see.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The only issue I have had is a flat tire the day after I bought it (screw in it), and just last Friday, the CEL came on with a P015B code (o2 sensor). Dealer said 2 weeks for part, guess vehicle still sort of new, still runs the same. I also had the parking brake light come on a few times after starting, but if I engaged the parking brake then release, it cleared (maybe just needs engaged once in a while) and had a warning with the TPM not sensing a tire, but cleared after a few miles. I drive 135 miles RT for work, and get tires rotated every oil change, and they still look almost new. Overall, very happy with the car, just wish it had a trunk release inside, but its not a deal breaker
Miss that on my cavalier but my spare FOB opens that, Not happy with no key for the trunk, but
MPG is fantastic! The 2.5 liter needs to be installed back in the new Bu's, now that the Impala is going away, IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 54,500 on mine and still average about 40. I did have to have the transmission replaced at 45 because some solenoid was stuck. They tried replacing the whole solenoid valve assembly but didn't work, code still set and no movement. The repair took weeks but I was given a Volt loaner the whole time. I have three kids and basically had to put one in the trunk lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also had the parking brake light come on a few times after starting, but if I engaged the parking brake then release, it cleared (maybe just needs engaged once in a while)
Was it an amber or red warning light? I suspect it has something to do with compensating for rear lining wear. Holding the switch in the engaged position is required after replacing the rear linings to adjust the parking brake (had to do this on a Volt due to corrosion issues). Here's an excerpt from the owner's manual:

If the amber parking brake warning
light is on, lift up on the EPB switch
and hold it up. Continue to hold the
switch until the red parking brake
status light remains on. If the amber
parking brake warning light remains
on, see your dealer.​

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was it an amber or red warning light? I suspect it has something to do with compensating for rear lining wear. Holding the switch in the engaged position is required after replacing the rear linings to adjust the parking brake (had to do this on a Volt due to corrosion issues). Here's an excerpt from the owner's manual:

If the amber parking brake warning
light is on, lift up on the EPB switch
and hold it up. Continue to hold the
switch until the red parking brake
status light remains on. If the amber
parking brake warning light remains
on, see your dealer.​
It was red, think it only happened twice, I do get a few electrical things, like the passenger blind spot indicator stays on once it rains for a few miles, and sometimes my collision alert flashes up on the windshield when nothing is in front of me (but i wonder if road grime/dirt from highway effects that if haven't washed in awhile), scares crap out of me, I turned the braking off......I forgot to mentioned that earlier, but not like it happens all the time, just a few

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update last 3 fill ups at the pump 2 at 50 mpg and one in between at 52mpg , All Gas reg. top tier from Costco , tire pressure's at 38 psi. Its doing better than expected I have no complaints .

·
Super Moderator
1,831 Posts
44.7 On my 2018 Hybrid pretty consistent with 2,500 miles , I live in a hilly region so its coming in better than expected . Nice car I have no complaints .
Update last 3 fill ups at the pump 2 at 50 mpg and one in between at 52mpg , All Gas reg. top tier from Costco , tire pressure's at 38 psi. Its doing better than expected I have no complaints .
Really good mpgs, thanks for sharing. The Hybrid was my favorite of the gen9 Malibus. It's a shame the sales never took off and it was discontinued.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts