Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM sent me a notice in March 2017 and a one page owner manual supplement. The notice said to use 5w-30 dexos1 full synthetic .

I lost the one page supplement and believe it said to start using 0w-20 viscosity.

Does anyone have the one page supplement and know which viscosity to use in my 2016 1.5?

on the general forum there is some info which says to use either viscosity.

any thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
Hello @joehamm and welcome.

The manual supplement still specified 5W30 (see attached pic). A little over a year ago there had been some confusion about which to use for the 2016-2017 1.5T since GM changed the spec to 0W20 for the 2018+ 1.5T. Nothing consumer-facing ever trickled down nor do any bulletins indicate any change. The 2016-2017 1.5T remains 5W30 and UPF64R.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
The 2016, and 2017, 1.5 engines use Dexos1 Gen2 - 5W-30 oil with a specified UPF64R filter.

The 2018 up 1.5 engines use Dexos1 Gen2 - 0W-20 oil and the filter was changed to a PF64.

The dealers like to put a PF64 filter on all of the 1.5 engines, as they screw right on and will work, and they are cheaper.

The reason that the UPF64R was specified for the engines using 5W-30 was because of the higher bypass relief pressure and the higher flow rating. This assures that there will be less opportunities for the oil to bypass the filter in cold weather conditions.

The PF64 filter has a lower bypass relief pressure and less flow capacity; perfect for a lighter viscosity oil, but potentially dangerous to use on an engine using a thicker 5W-30 oil.

The tech's at the dealers don't pay any attention to this information and probably wouldn't understand if it were explained to them. There is a reason for the filter requirements changing when the oil requirement changed.

It's okay to use a UPF64R on all of the 1.5 engines; but not okay to use a PF64 on 2016/2017 models.

My oil of choice for all four of my Chevy's is Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
@GarBec

All seems right but I am not sure about the PF64 actually being dangerous for the 2016-2017 1.5T. At least not for the reason of oil viscosity - the 2.0T uses 5W30 and PF64. GM's part catalog and the ACDelco part catalog have actually been updated to include the UPF64R and PF64 for the 2016-2017. Now, did that happen in response to dealer pressure so they can use the cheaper PF64? Several bulletins now reference using PF64 not UPF64R - some engineer is making that decision. Unfortunately, it gets even dodgier now that the PF64 has changed to a 20% lighter, smaller, and possibly different rated filter that more closely resembles the cheaper ecore. Yuck.

Short story, as you said and I've argued many times, the engineers specified UPF64R for the 2016-2017 1.5. They could have specified the PF64 to match the 2.0 but they didn't. Something made them pick a different filter that is higher rated and costs twice as much. I just don't agree the PF64 is dangerous because of oil thickness... it's just not the right filter if right is what is specified. Funny factoid though - the UPF64R design also changed recently. I'd be happy to share pictures and weights if desired.

·
Registered
240 Posts
@GarBec

All seems right but I am not sure about the PF64 actually being dangerous for the 2016-2017 1.5T. At least not for the reason of oil viscosity

Short story, as you said and I've argued many times, the engineers specified UPF64R for the 2016-2017 1.5. They could have specified the PF64 to match the 2.0 but they didn't. Something made them pick a different filter that is higher rated and costs twice as much. I just don't agree the PF64 is dangerous because of oil thickness... it's just not the right filter if right is what is specified.
Yes, maybe 'dangerous' wasn't the best choice of words on my part. But like you said; the powertrain engineers specified this particular filter for a reason. It all makes perfect sense to me why.

Maybe the oiling systems on the 1.5 and 2.0 are different enough to not need to specify a UPF64R for the 2.0; the 2.0 was always a 5W-30 engine to my knowledge.

I guess I'm not one to question the wisdom of the engineers that designed and produced this 1.5 engine: Therefore I will continue to use the originally specified lubricant and filter.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
intersting...I have been using (last year couple oil changes) the UPF64R with my usual Mobil 1 5W30 on her 2013 2.0T...I liked what was reported to be better filter media (for synthetic oil) and higher burst strength (the filter is heavier) as I used to use these type filters on my GM vehicles when they carried the Delco Gold and Ultrguard names...

campb292...so the UPF64R filters have changed again???...ugh...I think I'll head to BITOG to see if I can find any more info but if you have it available please link it or let me know...it would be appreciated...I have one Mobil 1 oil filter left for the SS sedan and will be buying more filters for the cars and any insight IS appreciated...

Thanks all,

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,676 Posts
Yeah, UPF64R changed again. Originally they were blue housing with a red and white label around here. Then they became a blue with a gold label (change #1). Now they have become a black filter with gold label and the weight has changed. Looks like valve design changes but I haven't seen a cut away to see what has happened inside. Unlike the changes to the PF64 (I posted some pics recently), the external dimensions of the new UPF64R are unchanged just the internal construction reflected by the weight change. Also below are the last known specs of the filters. Obviously may or may not still be relevant as both filters have changed since these specs.

Attachments

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
thanks camp...I have 2 of the red label filters left with an oil change for her car coming up soon...

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts