Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to hear what others are considering for their next vehicle and why. I love the engine/trans performance in my Malibu premier 2.0T but in general Chevy/GM didn’t impress me, from the trans needing valve body replacement at 20k miles to the third brake light leaking water into the headliner and a few other smaller annoyances. I’ve driven sedans my whole life but after driving my wife’s MDX I realized I prefer to sit up higher for increased visibility. AWD will also be a requirement.

The Mazda CX-5 2.5T (250 hp / 320 lb-ft) checks most boxes but is on the smaller side. I’ll also test drive Acura RDX, Lexus NX 200T Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4. I wish Honda put the Accord’s 2.0t in the CRV but the hybrid looks intriguing with good cargo space, decent power and great fuel economy. Looking for reliability with good to decent performance. Must haves are AWD, Apple CarPlay, LED or HID headlights, lumbar for driver and passenger and heated steering wheel.

Lets hear what you’re thinking and why.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,848 Posts
I'm considering keeping my paid-off Gen7 with 3.6L V6 and adding an SUV. Probably be an older unit with fewer electronic nannies and definitely no turbo.

I drove a friend's Bolt and it was a very unusual ride to say the least. Only 1 gear, and in L you almost don't need brakes because it regens more than in D!

He has had it for only 6 months and put 16,ooo miles on it already. Long trips to New York, Wisconsin, and elsewhere from Southern Indiana where he lives.

That said, I would definitely consider an EV SUV.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,434 Posts
I decided a while ago I can't keep my 2016 LT beyond the end of the service contract at 110,000 miles. I am at 75,000 now. At my current rate that is somewhere between 1.5-2 more years. Ive been thinking about a certified used 2018-2019 Impala 3.6 or maybe certified Envision or new RAV4. My other cars are a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek and a 2018 F150. I'd like to keep a sedan in the mix.

The Impala is probably leading the pack currently as I like the certified used idea and there are some great deals on 2016-2017s now so I assume those deals may persist on a 2018. If I succumb to the SUV/CUV fever I might also consider the RAV4. I wasn't feeling the first year 2019 but they fixed a bunch of the noise problems on the 2020 and I liked it when I drove it a few weeks ago. It also has Toyota's dual injection system which is a plus. I'll also consider the Envision I just worry about build quality.

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
Both of my cars will be paid off within 2 years and for a third vehicle we'll be looking at mildly used wagons and crossovers with our future kids in mind. I will not buy another brand new car unless I'm up to my eyeballs in money.

Front runners are the Buick Regal TourX (wagon) and Chevy Blazer 3.6L V6.

Other possibilities are as follows:
2013-2014 CTS Sportwagon (3.6L V6)
2014-2020+ Equinox/Terrain (3.6L V6 or 2.0T)
2020+ Cadillac XT4

·
Registered
123 Posts
At this point of time, hopefully can run the car i have now in to the ground... right now sitting at 333,000kms (205k, miles)

Not reasonable me:
1. Chevy SS (but not available or sold in Canada, maybe import but don't really want to go that route)
2. 2006-2007 GTO or 2001/2002 Firehawk but that's not reasonable with kids... plus already have the 95 T/A
3. Tesla 3 series (will have to find out and see what battery longevity is i.e. see where they're at in a couple years, if they're replacing them)

Realistically:
1. Another 2011 v6 malibu
2. Toyota Corolla/Camry/Rav4 (Toyota is the parent company for whom I work for, so a nice little subsidy if i go that route)
3. Used Chevy Malibu or Impala, just newer
4. VW Wagon, stupid gas mileage but SCR system is my biggest issue with it. (expensive fix if it ever blows up)

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
@curtis09 - Don't they have the Pontiac G8 in Canada? That's a happy medium between the Chevy SS and Pontiac GTO. It's a good looking car, too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah the G8 is here in Canada, but only version i'd look at is the GXP, still a sharp looking car, but if were going family car, was hoping for something little newer or not older than the malibu now... Heck i'd go for one if it were reasonable and got the ok from the wife... but for some reason i don't think she'd go for it... plus being an older car than what i have now... would be a tough sell... especially since its not broke yet.

I was looking at pictures oft the 2017 Chevy SS and that is one sharp looking car... Reminds me just of a sportier Malibu lol... and I like my Malibu. Then again V8 would be a tough sell... lol one can dream tho...definitely jealous of some of the car options you have down there...

Reactions: cp-the-nerd

·
Registered
147 Posts
I/We are hopefully not on the market for a new/replacement vehicle anytime soon! Both vehicles have a lot of life left in them pending the CVT on the Nissan holds up (not a recall year). The next most likely vehicle to be replaced is the SO's Nissan Rogue. With a little spawnling now and potentially another in the future a minivan would be nice. People joke and tease about minivans but I kind of like them. I learned how to drive in a minivan among other things. The Malibu does not get to stretch her legs nearly as much as I'd like

·
Registered
22 Posts
Curious to hear what others are considering for their next vehicle and why. I love the engine/trans performance in my Malibu premier 2.0T but in general Chevy/GM didn’t impress me, from the trans needing valve body replacement at 20k miles to the third brake light leaking water into the headliner and a few other smaller annoyances. I’ve driven sedans my whole life but after driving my wife’s MDX I realized I prefer to sit up higher for increased visibility. AWD will also be a requirement.

The Mazda CX-5 2.5T (250 hp / 320 lb-ft) checks most boxes but is on the smaller side. I’ll also test drive Acura RDX, Lexus NX 200T Honda CRV and Toyota RAV4. I wish Honda put the Accord’s 2.0t in the CRV but the hybrid looks intriguing with good cargo space, decent power and great fuel economy. Looking for reliability with good to decent performance. Must haves are AWD, Apple CarPlay, LED or HID headlights, lumbar for driver and passenger and heated steering wheel.

Lets hear what you’re thinking and why.
I have an 09 with the 3.6 which is terrific other than having the transmission replaced. The car is quick, handles well for what it is and I am comfortable in it. I considered the Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD but that’s pretty much going by the wayside now. What I really like is the BMW 440i Grand Coupe X drive. The back end opens completely up like a hatchback so it’s easy to get stuff in/out of it. It’s about a foot shorter than my BU which I like, has AWD and I fit quite nicely into it. It has a 3.0 which I like as well. I’m not a fan of anybody’s 2.0. That’s my choice and why a new BU doesn’t make the cut. Yes it’s pricey but I’m retired now so I’m ready for something more upscale but smaller than the BU. And with AWD it will handle better than FWD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Malibu is my daily driver so I'm planning to get a motorcycle as my weekend toy. Actually I found a '05 Honda Crf250x that runs great. It just needs a fresh set of dirt bike plastics. I'm still contemplating whether to buy it or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’d like to keep my 2017 LT looking great with pepperdust & Black bow tie & after I pay it off maybe install the 2.7 310 hp -if we’re still petroleum independent-but sadly, the trend seems to be electric cars in the near future

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would like to keep my current Malibu in excellent condition if it will allow it. If I stay with GM, then I think my next vehicle will be a twin cab pick-up. I do not like the current state of GM's car offerings, as the only thing that appeals to me at a desirable level are their pickups and the Corvette. Its my opinion, but I feel that the company is ripe for a styling and offerings revolution.

As far as Malibu, it is still a competent sedan; However I do not like the current generation's styling. The 8th generation nailed the styling, as well as build quality.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I respect that. I like the 8th generation also but prefer the looks, lighter weight & overall improved handling of the 9th.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
the three dots on top of each other in the upper right of your post will reveal the edit button so you can edit your post if you wish

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Last generation Regal was stylish and unique-replaced by the new Regal Sport Back which has now been discontinued-sad to see it go-yours is a beauty!

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
4,921 Posts
The Buick Regal from 2011-present has to be the most overlooked and underrated affordable sedan. I have the current Regal Wagon on my list, and the Regal in general has never been far from my car buying radar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wanted an Impala 3.6 but saved the $ with the Malibu. (Feel cheated now that it’s discontinued) I agree about the Regal. Phasing out Sedans, C & D’s lack of enthusiasm & too many people dismissing American cars-so long Regal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts