Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2016 1.5 turbo has lately started throwing P0011-00 intake camshaft position system performance and P0016-00 crankshaft position not plausible codes along with a P0826-00 up and down shift switch circuit codes. If I clear the codes, it will go for days and then then pop up again. The same 3 codes and this has happened probably 5 times now. I have ordered new cam sensors which I hope will fix the sensor code issue and they look pretty easy to change. But a) why in the world does the P0826-00 up and down shift switch circuit code set with these cam codes and what the heck (and where can I get a replacement) is an up and down switch? I've looked on all the normal parts sites and the closest I can find are shifter assemblies that don't specify whether they include any switches. Thanks for any help! Wife is not happy with this vehicle as it has been troublesome since we purchased it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
4,245 Posts
Are you the original owner of this car? if yes, has this car previously had the shift to park error fixed? If it has, focus on the P0011/16.

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
I have been noticing that P0826 code on several gen9 cars that have had the repair for the shift to park issue. By itself it doesn't illuminate the check engine light, it just hides in the background. It is my theory GM uses the new shifter harness to route the error from throwing the shift to park message to that hidden P0826 code. That is why I suggest focusing on the other codes as P0826 really isn't connected and may be expected. I am not even sure if the dealer techs know but I'm about 95% confident in my theory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks. I could not understand why these codes would always appear together since there is no logical connection between them. It seems like the GM repair isn't really a repair then, just a way to hide the check engine light. Is it possible that it can cause the vehicle to go into a limp-in mode? She now tells me that occasionally her car will lose power from a standing start. Or is that a function of the cam sensor issue? The cam sensors (I'm going to replace both of them) should be here shortly and I hope that will fix the P0011/16 problem. It looks like they have only the electrical connection and one bolt to hold them in. Any things I should watch out for? Do I need to have any programing done after the repair? Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
The P0826 definitely isn't causing the limp mode, that is coming from P0011/P0016 which are both intake camshaft codes. It is certainly possible it is a sensor issue but it may also be a sensor telling you the truth and it is a camshaft position actuator solenoid issue. Good news, both are easy to change. You don't need to do any programming for the camshaft sensors, just disconnect the connector, pull out, new in, tighten to 89 in lbs which is tightness of about a 3 on a scale of 1-10. Crankshaft sensor is the one that needs programming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help. I'll post back here with an update after I replace the sensors.
This has turned into a bit of a journey. I ordered what I thought were the correct parts, the sensors, and replaced them. Now I see I should have gotten the actuators. I'm very confused trying to order these. Some sites show different actuators for intake and exhaust, some show the same for both. I did go to a dealer and ask if they could provide the parts numbers, since they are all backordered, and was given 12701385 as the correct number. I therefore assume it's the same part for intake and exhaust. Plugged that number into RockAuto and it came up with a different part number 12701385 (12701385:8) that is a closeout AC/Delco part and corresponds with a 2016 Malibu 1.5 turbo LT. No note about whether intake or exhaust that I could find. I went ahead and ordered 2. I'm a little lost at this point.

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
12701385 is the right part, same for intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now we wait and see. I've replaced the cam position sensors and activators and cleared the codes so hopefully that will take care of the main problem. Still have no idea what to do about the P0826-00 code and have to move on to the next issue - intermittently not recognizing the fob.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
When changing the fob battery use a good Duracell. No cheap online Chinese batteries.

Reactions: campb292

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When changing the fob battery use a good Duracell. No cheap online Chinese batteries.
I've changed batteries in both fobs with good name brand units several times and we still have the same problem. It is not the fob failing, but an issue with the receiver module. If I knew where the module was located and the part number, and if I could program it myself, I'd change it. I don't want to go to my "dealer" with this since they have a provable history of misdiagnosing repairs.

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
I've changed batteries in both fobs with good name brand units several times and we still have the same problem. It is not the fob failing, but an issue with the receiver module. If I knew where the module was located and the part number, and if I could program it myself, I'd change it. I don't want to go to my "dealer" with this since they have a provable history of misdiagnosing repairs.
When the fob isn't recognized, it is typically at the door handle, trunk, or when starting/stopping the car? The system is complicated - a series of antennas all over the car and a receiver under the rear window trim / speaker package tray. There is also a control module under the left side of the glovebox. I'd guess receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When the fob isn't recognized, it is typically at the door handle, trunk, or when starting/stopping the car? The system is complicated - a series of antennas all over the car and a receiver under the rear window trim / speaker package tray. There is also a control module under the left side of the glovebox. I'd guess receiver.
Typically, my wife will get the "Not recognized" error message when sitting in the driver's seat and attempting to start the engine. She has also complained that on occasion she cannot get the door to unlock when walking up to the car, which she normally does from the driver's side since that's the way it's parked. Put the fob in or at least fairly close to the slot in the center console and it will start and stop normally. Most of the time after the initial error everything is fine for a few starts. She has never reported that it would not shut off.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Does the fob issue happen with both fobs or only one of the fobs. If both fobs, then yes, I would suspect a receiver issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,245 Posts
It's not impossible that its one of the antennas but I'd still guess receiver. The intermittent nature here fits the bulletin. Good news... I don't see programming required!

The bulletin is quite old and has an older part number - if you can find that it should still be fine but I have 13540045 being the latest part. Part 13523281 is the next most recent. That part number changes a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not impossible that its one of the antennas but I'd still guess receiver. The intermittent nature here fits the bulletin. Good news... I don't see programming required!

The bulletin is quite old and has an older part number - if you can find that it should still be fine but I have 13540045 being the latest part. Part 13523281 is the next most recent. That part number changes a lot.
Thanks so much, especially for the part numbers. Great news that no programing is required. That's the biggest drawback for DIY'ers trying to fix their own vehicles. I'll be looking into getting one - hopefully I can find one at a decent price. This is located under the rear speaker tray, correct?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts