Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am trying to figure out this warning type chime I hear sometimes. I heard it twice within a couple of days. Both times the scenario was similar: I drive slowly on a parking lot (first time was a gas station actually), slow down to a stop or almost to a stop and then release the brake and slowly start creeping forward. This unexpected chime sounds a couple of times. All people in the car are buckled in. It comes and goes and I don't see any lights or messages (well, perhaps there is something of DIC or some light flashes somewhere, but I was not able to catch it, when I look everything over after the chime all is clear).
What can it be?

·
Registered
293 Posts
A quick chime is usually the door or your seat belt. The passenger's seat belt makes a more annoying double-chime sound.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick chime is usually the door or your seat belt. The passenger's seat belt makes a more annoying double-chime sound.
no that's not it, everybody is buckled up and the doors are closed and locked. maybe some gremlin in the wiring...

·
Registered
293 Posts
You could have a Gnome running around your car and not buckled in.

I'd suggest just being on alert, and the next time it happens you look at the DIC and see if you notice anything. I'd also suggest checking the passenger seat belt light as well in the lower portion of your console. If it is registering that they are not buckled in, there could be a sensor problem.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could have a Gnome running around your car and not buckled in.

I'd suggest just being on alert, and the next time it happens you look at the DIC and see if you notice anything. I'd also suggest checking the passenger seat belt light as well in the lower portion of your console. If it is registering that they are not buckled in, there could be a sensor problem.
yes, will keep an eye on it. it's so infrequent and happens quickly leaving me with no messages/lights...the lower portion does not display anything when I examine it. So if there's anything there it's gone quickly.

Also I find it interesting that it happened in similar scenarios.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your Malibu will chime if your turn signals have been on for about 20 seconds. It will go off sometimes if I have to wait a long time at a stop light. Could that be the issue?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Malibu will chime if your turn signals have been on for about 20 seconds. It will go off sometimes if I have to wait a long time at a stop light. Could that be the issue?
that's a possibility...however, I just tried to leave the turn signal on for a long time...no chime. Tried while driving too, no chime.

·
Banned
27 Posts
that chime means there are unicorns in your exhaust punching holes in your muffler, you need a anti-unicorn system cleaner, it just so happens I have some of that.....

·
Registered
701 Posts
that chime means there are unicorns in your exhaust punching holes in your muffler, you need a anti-unicorn system cleaner, it just so happens I have some of that.....

LOL - Should make sure he tops up his headlight fluid also!, maybe he needs some 7I0 fluid....you never know that could be what the chime is?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 710 cap is not on tight? That can cause the Kehnutsen valve to malfunction...

Seriously though, is the sound the same as the door/belt chime? This has happened to me before... My driver's seatbelt buckle sensor stopped working and it would ding for extended amounts of time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ok I noticed this double chime 3 times today while driving home.. It would only chime when slowing to a stop.,

Nothing on the DIC, Everyone buckled, No turn signals

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok I noticed this double chime 3 times today while driving home.. It would only chime when slowing to a stop.,

Nothing on the DIC, Everyone buckled, No turn signals
Oh Oh, Sounds like your headlight fluid is low also. :eek:

In all seriousness this is kind of strange, I wonder if a call to GM Customer Service would help to answer the questin???

·
Registered
20 Posts
The chime is a low fuel warning. It chimes when releasing the brake pedal to warn you of a low fuel condition. It will happen every few miles until you fill up. I just had this happen on my way back from lunch....

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a full tank currently and mine did it.. Nor was it Oil Life, the car is only a week old. Tire pressure is fine as well

It chimes but there is no information on the DIC about any trouble condition

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The chime is a low fuel warning. It chimes when releasing the brake pedal to warn you of a low fuel condition. It will happen every few miles until you fill up. I just had this happen on my way back from lunch....
I am not hearing the chime anymore.

Now, the low fuel warning - wouldn't it be combined with a light on the instrument cluster? There was nothing at all there, no DIC messages, no abnormal lights on the center console.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Same with mine, No indication just a soft tone chime.. It did it 3 times last night driving home, I will have to listen out for it again tonight

If you have the radio up you will surely miss the sounds its very faint

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have you had a passenger when this happens? Could be a faulty weight sensor in the seat...

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you had a passenger when this happens? Could be a faulty weight sensor in the seat...
yes, both times. however I had passengers many times since it happened last time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.