Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, haven't had a chance to call the GM garage yet to see if they can tell me. This piece is broken on both sides, well the clips on the back are anyways. Is this common? They are both broken in the same place, maybe the sun did it? Does anyone happen to have a part number for this trim piece on each side of the dash, or at least know what it's called so I may be able to look it up? Thanks in advance. :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine is broke on one side. I plan to just add a dab of contact cement to the back of it and stick it back down.
And no I don't know what it is call either.

·
Administrator
16,680 Posts
In my 2011 it's broken on the driver's side but secured on the passenger's side. As @Landen48 suggests, one of these days I'll just put something behind it like some blue tack. It'll hold it securely enough to keep it there, yet allow me to remove it if I ever need to.

·
Registered
563 Posts
when you remove the a pillar cover the tab gets caught and breaks off

they're just called left and right molding, parts 14 and 15 here: INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS for 2010 Chevrolet Malibu

FWIW, I used Loctite Super Glue Plastics Bonding System with Activator 2-Gram since mine were broken off too https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y3LHXW/ref=asc_df_B000Y3LHXW5062990/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B000Y3LHXW&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093606370&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15756265556106844985&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061334&hvtargid=pla-320192516791

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies guys, I know of one of these in a junkyard I may see if I can salvage them from it. If not I will most likely be sticking them back on in some fashion as 50 bucks a piece is a lot of money for that small plastic thing. I wonder if it ever would need removed in the future, or if I could use some sort of more permanent adhesive.

·
Certified Technician
695 Posts
that would be an "accent molding"

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
I call it instrument panel dash molding and there are several different colors. There's silver which is used in LS/LT and always with the gray interior, then there's milano which is the light wood grain color used in the LT2 models that aren't gray inside, and then there's khoki which is the dark wood grain used in the LTZ model but then there's also a dark silver used exclusively in the LTZ model sporting the brick/ebony interior. Personally, I think the prices these pieces go for are outrageous but must be in high demand which people take advantage of. But the bad part is getting the door trim pieces to match if you decide to change out your trim along the dash because those don't come as separate pieces so either you have to find someone willing to swap with you or buy a whole new door panel for it.

Edit: And you should be just fine to use permanent adhesive on the two arch pieces unless you're like me and decided to paint your interior in which it's a lot cleaner to just remove the pieces prior to painting. But if you're never going to do anything like that, then there's no reason to ever have to remove the pieces. In fact I think the dashboard panels just come with them already installed as they're not truly meant to be removable even though it's possible, it's a huge pain in the rear to do it. So yeah, unless you're going to paint the interior or you want to change them to wood grain, permanent adhesive should be the perfect solution.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Might just as well! It's not required to come off in any sort of service for the vehicle as I've taken all this apart and it's just nothing more than cosmetics. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used Loctite to secure mine. The material they used to make those trim pieces is so brittle.. I removed my center console to reveal the screw that holds the pieces actually in place and it was cracked and just fell off - pain in the behind cheap plastic.

*However the Loctite holds up well and I found if you really need to remove the trim after you have applied the glue you can use those cheap trim remover tools to pry it off again without doing damage.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
My question is, how do these pieces actually get broken so easily? To me, they're out of normal reach and should be difficult to damage them. When I bought my car, the driver side piece was cracked but not broken all the way. Of course this is no issue now since I replaced the crappy silver with LTZ dark wood trim which was in perfect shape except the tabs on the driver side are all broken because the seller didn't know how it came out at first. But I don't really care because then it's much easier to remove anyway. I just secure it down with some double sided tape and it holds it there nice and steady.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd imagine the end eventually gets weak and brittle, eventually dislodging due to the door closing (or slamming) shut over and over again. The tabs at the end on the driver and passenger side of my LT were broken/popped off, but I got my car used. They fella I purchased the car from didn't seem like the do-it-yourselfer for car remodeling either. If you remove the ones from the door, they aren't all tabs: few near the end are little circular pieces that are just garbage as well.

Honestly it's just cheap plastic; mix that with wear and tear over the years and you have a recipe for little pieces to break or crack especially if you aren't careful removing pieces.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
mrkyleman
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing