Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming theres a direct coorelation between MPG and average speed for similar vehicles. I will update this page frequently. Question should we reset the average speed with each fillup? Anyway below is where I'm at.
Got the 4cyl.

avg speed 39
avg mpg 26

This is after 2 fillups.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I reset everything at each fillup, but I do not pay much attention to Avg. Speed.
For what you want to do, you will want to reset avg. speed and avg. MPG with each fillup.
It will be interesting to see the results over time.

It would be nice if the DIC had a second Avg. MPG you could leave for the life of the car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I reset my average speed after each fill up so I can guess the ratio of city to highway driving. Here are my last 3 fill ups. Note the higher avg speed 48, did translate into higher MPG This is for the 6 cyl.

DIC MPG 23.3 Act. MPG 22.06 Avg. Speed 44
DIC MPG 25.5 Act. MPG 26.66 Avg. Speed 48
DIC MPG 25.9 Act. MPG 23.84 Avg. Speed 43

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
Our 'Bu is the wife's car. It is so seldom used and driven on such short trips the avg speed is in the 20's. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I reset the MPG and Avg Speed at each fill-up. I think my typical average speed has been between 28 and 31. It would be higher, except the roads around here are under-developed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do a lot of long trips. I'm currently at 57mph avg and 24.7 mpg. V6 LTZ.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Average speed is usually 17-18 mph. Nothing like urban driving.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Same here - back and forth to work are the bulk of my trips with the occassional highway venture thrown in - so far AVG speed has been right around 32 mph

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't reset the AVG speed (probably should, as pointed out above), but so far mine has been hovering pretty close to 48 mph (95+ percent 55-65 mph highway, 3-4 percent 35-55 two lane rural, 1-2 percent stop and go 25-35 mph roads in Asheville NC). I'll have to calculate my overall fuel economy and see how it stacks up. I usually log all of my info at the fueleconomy.gov web site, but having only had the car a few months, I've been waiting until I have at least 10 reportable tanks (that site will take all the individual tanks and do the math for the overall- and is accurate in the formulas, as I've verified for other vehicles).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.
3rd Fillup and 26MPG and 40 Ave speed. Spent a little more time in traffic.....Ofcourse gas was 17cents higher than last week... Went from $3.60 to 3.79......:eek:

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's exactly the right word for gas -- cRUDe...
I think it's time to convert my Malibu to Vegetable Oil - think I'll fry me up some french fries crusin' down the highway!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Gas was $4.19 in connecticut this weekend - rip off artists!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gas was $4.19 in connecticut this weekend - rip off artists!
Yea, It was only $3.89 here (I say ONLY) but it ranges like 30 cents around town depending on where you get your fillup. Really sucks to know that wall street is now affecting the gas price and not the middle east...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just took a trip from Dubuque Iowa (on the Mississippi river) to Chicago O'Hare and back. (flew to Charlotte for the Coke 600) Anyway, reset everything before we left the house last Friday. Upon our return Tuesday I had recorded an average speed of 57 mph (which I thought was low) and got 30.3 mpg (which was what I had hoped to see).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just took a trip from Dubuque Iowa (on the Mississippi river) to Chicago O'Hare and back. (flew to Charlotte for the Coke 600) Anyway, reset everything before we left the house last Friday. Upon our return Tuesday I had recorded an average speed of 57 mph (which I thought was low) and got 30.3 mpg (which was what I had hoped to see).
DO you have the V6 or 4cyl? That's outstanding for either really. :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.