Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 malibu 2.4 liter flex fuel six speed automatic transmission. I jacked up my car to check my wheel bearing driver side front and I was able to spin the wheel a a little bit before it stopped? I only jacked up one wheel. Could go either way.I should've put it in neutral before trying to spin the tire 🤦‍♂️ I wasnt thinking... but I hope I didn't do anything bad to the transmission. I was able to go both directions with the wheel for a couple of inches before it stopped Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
You did no damage. The parking position/lock in the transmission is able to the hold the entire vehicle from rolling on a hill. Spinning a wheel by hand is not going to harm anything.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did no damage. The parking position/lock in the transmission is able to the hold the entire vehicle from rolling on a hill. Spinning a wheel by hand is not going to harm anything.
Thank you. I was freaking out I messed up. Why would the wheel move in park though?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
19,006 Posts
Thank you. I was freaking out I messed up. Why would the wheel move in park though?
Because there's a bit of play in the parking pawl mechanism. Basic stuff from years and years gone by.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For checking the wheel bearing, the tire moved very little at 3 & 9 position. But didn't hear any clicking from the wheel hub area when I did it. Some days my drive seems noisier then others. I get no matter what, gonna hear tire noise when driving but it was louder then normal so I wanted to check out wheel bearing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts