Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It has been shown on the Chevy site and Edmunds.com for months, but I haven't seen any at the dealers. Will the hybrid cost full MSRP (or more), or can you get GMS pricing on the hybrid?

Also, on Edmunds, it only lists a sunroof and driver convenience package as major options. Exterior colors don't include red jewel either.

So I guess you can't get leather interior with the hybrid?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Then there is this blog news on the hybrid, if you can understand what they are saying:

http://auto-news-blog.com/in-the-news/chevrolet-malibu-hybrid-to-launch-in-only-11-markets

This article from December indicates the Hybrid is already in production:

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Chevrolet-Malibu-Hybrid.html

"The Malibu Hybrid arrives in dealerships this month and offers a competitive combination of refinement and fuel efficiency. Standard features include automatic climate control, StabiliTrak electronic stability control system, 16-inch wheels and a driver information center with hybrid-specific information."

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I must be clueless, because I just checked with GMBuyPower, and found a handful of hybrids.

What's interesting is that every one of them have no options and are the same color:

2008 Malibu Hybrid Sedan
Interior:Titanium Cloth
Exterior:Silverstone Metallic
VIN:1G1ZF57518F215439

MSRP: $22,790.00

Another interesting piece of info, maybe to save weight or because it won't fit with battery pack?

"TIRE SEALANT & INFLATOR KIT IN PLACE OF SPARE TIRE"

I wonder if you can order a hybrid with options or a different paint/interior color scheme?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chevy's website indicates VERY limited ability coming Spring of 2008.

If history is any prediction of the future, expect further delays.

A 2 mpg increase is an embarrassing improvement for a hybrid - IMO. If that is the best they can do, IMO they should go back to the drawing board before they bring it to market. The Ford Escape hybrid saw an increase of 12mpg [City] over non-hybrid.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With only a 2mpg improvement it'll take forever to offest the higher purchase price.
What higher purchase price? It is only $22K. I wonder what a comparable non-hybrid costs? The hybrid does have some built in equipment that the base LS ($20K) doesn't have, but I can't remember off hand what it is.

I figured for me it is a savings of about $100 a year per MPG based on $3.25/gallon. So that's about $200 a year for 2 MPG increase. So if it is in fact a $2K increase in price, it would take 10 years to make up the difference. That's if you don't take the end value of the car into consideration with depreciation. As gas prices rise, a hybrid may depreciate slower, even if it is only a mild hybrid.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would think that there are maintenance costs associated with a Hybrid above and beyond a non-hybrid. For example, the Prius battery requires replacement at 100K. The battery alone costs $3,500.

·
CMF Honorary Member
1,143 Posts
What higher purchase price? It is only $22K. I wonder what a comparable non-hybrid costs? The hybrid does have some built in equipment that the base LS ($20K) doesn't have, but I can't remember off hand what it is.

I figured for me it is a savings of about $100 a year per MPG based on $3.25/gallon. So that's about $200 a year for 2 MPG increase. So if it is in fact a $2K increase in price, it would take 10 years to make up the difference. That's if you don't take the end value of the car into consideration with depreciation. As gas prices rise, a hybrid may depreciate slower, even if it is only a mild hybrid.
Boo, I hope you're correct on the pricing. You can't do a "build and price" on the Chevy site so I'm not so sure that pricing is firm yet.

How many miles per year do you put on a car? If you use the 2 mpg increase (30 mpg vs 32mpg) and base it on 12K per year you'd be lucky to save a $100/year. Surely, the more miles you put on the greater the savings. I do about 7500/year. Hybrids don't work for me..... yet. :eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive about 20K miles per year, so the savings would be decent. I searched the GM website and there were several inventory listed at $22,790 each. So I assume that's the MSRP, but can't confirm until I get to a dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.