Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
girlfriend loves her new LS, i must say its nicely equipped base model, cloth seats our favorite which are getting rare there days. is there a trunk release beside the key fob? thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Don't know about cloth seats getting rare they seem pretty plentiful to me but the trunk release inside is gone. You can use the fob or the button on the trunk lid (if the car is unlocked)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've never found one, which is an annoyance, especially since you are not able to pop the trunk for anyone but yourself without having to dig around for your keys.

The fob cant just be inside of the vehicle, it has to be right next to the trunk if you press the button, or you can press the button on the fob.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I pull a good amount of these 8th Gen Malibu's up for customers at work and have been wondering for some time if there was a trunk button. I searched high and low in the car never finding one, and was starting to feel like my manhood was being challenged since i couldn't find it. Decided to search the forum before posting and low and behold- someone else asked just yesterday! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

So... why isn't there a button? :confused:

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
There is no need for a trunk release button inside the car. Unlock the car and hit the trunk release button on the outside.
You would have to unlock the car to get inside and hit the trunk release in past cars anyways right? The button just moved to the trunk lid where you will be standing if you want to get in the trunk anyways.

I also thought it was strange that there was no interior trunk release until I thought about it and it really makes no difference if it is in the inside or on the trunk lid. We are just used to having one inside is all.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dissappointed with GM's cheapness, NO spare tire, inside trunk release gone, not even a locking gas door for security, glad she got an engine! really though its a nice car, time will tell

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
I don't think it was being cheap on the trunk release. I think it is just a new way to do things. The release button on the trunk lid makes sense actually.
Why unlock the car, get inside it then pull a lever or push a button for the trunk release then get out of the car then go to the trunk? Why not unlock the car, go to the trunk and push the button on it to open it?
If you are inside of the car opening it for someone else, why does it matter if you hit the trunk release inside or they hit the button on the trunk lid?

Who actually uses those ways anyways? Just push the trunk release on the fob. ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
what I don't like is the plastic-to-metal "squeek" when you press the trunk button. I might one-day-never remove the light and put a spacer or something in there to keep it from squeeking.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Hmm I don't remember any squeak when you press the button on the trunk lid. I'll listen again next time I do it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I pull a good amount of these 8th Gen Malibu's up for customers at work and have been wondering for some time if there was a trunk button. I searched high and low in the car never finding one, and was starting to feel like my manhood was being challenged since i couldn't find it. Decided to search the forum before posting and low and behold- someone else asked just yesterday! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

So... why isn't there a button? :confused:
The only thing I agree with here is that if you're in the driver seat and someone is going to the trunk and they're waiting by the trunk and they're like "can you pop the trunk" and you have to yell out the window "the button is on the 3rd brake light" and they're like what?, where?, who? By then you could of took out the fob or gotten out of the car to push the button yourself.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
People probably felt the same way when the key locks were removed from the trunk lids and doors except for the driver side door. Technology moves on.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm of the reverse thinking -- I never liked having the release inside. On one of my recent cars it had the trunk release inside and key lock only (no remote). I would often leave the keys in the ignition, step out and go around to the trunk, only to realize I forgot to hit the trunk release. Not having my keys meant going back into the car to hit the release or retrieve my keys. Chevy, IMO, has it right.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok its raining cats + dogs you leave off a car pooler he needs lunch box etc in trunk, fob does not work in ignition car running, car doors automatically locked since you were driving so locked doors mean the button does not work!! i just guessing but will try it, inside trunk is a usable convenience unlike many useless options that make $$$$ like power seats, if you can't manually adjust seat you prolly should not be driving IMHO!!!

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Rodhotter, you know you can hit the unlock button even when the car is running and unlock the doors, thus the trunk button should work.
If you can't unlock the doors with the car running you probably shouldn't be driving. ;)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Rodhotter, you know you can hit the unlock button even when the car is running and unlock the doors, thus the trunk button should work.
If you can't unlock the doors with the car running you probably shouldn't be driving. ;)
Now that's funny lol :D

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I pull these cars up to private aircraft on the tarmac all the time. I'm not driving around private aircraft with the trunk lid swinging open so when I pull up to the aircraft I have to turn the car off, remove the key, depress the trunk button, put the key back in the ignition, start the car... just to open the trunk!?!? It's ridiculousness vs. just pressing a button and it's done. Just my opinion, but I think it's a bad move on GM's part.

Are ya'll saying there's a button outside the car, or not? It sure would be helpful in my situation.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
No idea why you would do all that stuff you said to open the trunk.
Yes there is a button on the outside trunk lid. Look on the passenger side of the third brake light and you will see a black button. Push it with the car unlocked and it opens the trunk. Courtesy of 2013 Chevrolet magic.
Here is a pic of my car right after we got it, with the trunk button circled in bright green.

Not sure why people are having a hard time grasping the concept. Think of it like a door handle. You unlock the doors and you can go open the trunk on the back with the little button on the trunk lid.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Can you open the trunk with the exterior button while the key is in the ignition or while the fob is in the car?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts