Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for the Cyberdyne Systems neural-net OnStar computer in a 2017 Gen 9 Malibu. I have studied detailed files on this website, including:

Where is Onstar Computer located in Car ?

Unfortunately not even Miles Dyson could tell me where the OnStar central processing unit was in this car. Maybe @bdanyluk was able to find it and avert Judgement Day in the thread above but was terminated by a T101 before he could report back to our underground bunkers? Can anyone help?

Seriously, I've taken half the interior apart and can't find it. It's not behind the stereo, not in the trunk, and not on the passenger side wall (unless it's integrated as part of the keyless entry system . . . I mean, there is a box there that has labels 'Denso', 'N232800-5440', 'TN232800-5440', 'U2NAO', '2927-14-1732' and 'Anatel 2927-14-1732'; searching for it in various databanks only brings up results referring to keyless entry. This particular cybernetic component only has a grey block connector and a brown block connector going into it, not the two double-coax connectors I would have expected.

There are two double-coax leads passing between the back of the vehicle and the front on the passenger side near the footwell, but I'm not sure which way they're going to or coming from. So who knows, maybe it really is in the trunk and I missed it. What I saw in the trunk was a stereo amplifier and a traction control module, on the passenger side.

The two double-coax lines go up from the passenger foot area near the door, past the Denso / Anatel keyless entry unit on the passenger exterior wall without touching the keyless entry unit at all; then they go behind the glovebox area, where I can't see. Not sure where from there, because that gets into an area of dashboard that is very difficult to access. Skynet could be up in there under the airbag, behind the glovebox and dashboard, and above the A/C blower, but I didn't see any evidence of it. Or, it could be somewhere behind or under or near the stereo or heating controls, but I have that all apart too and no sign of it.

As a second question, I'm about to order either a Chilton, Mitchell, or Haynes manual for this vehicle to help me search for Skynet and crush it in a large hydraulic press. Which of these manuals is best for tracing the physical location of components of a car's cybernetic distributed neural-network computer system?

If any of you can assist me in modifying this HK for use by The Resistance, John will very much appreciate its addition to our arsenal. Thank you, fellow survivors! ;)

Sincerely,

Sarah Connor

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,977 Posts
I always thought the OnStar was 2 modules. One under the interior fuse box and one under the package tray toward the right side. But I've read there is a 3rd module wedged between the fuel tank and the floor. The 3rd module activates GPS if it loses communication with module A and B. It all doesn't matter; having already been near the car your neuroglial activity has been mapped and synced to the 5G network. They know where you are going before you get there. Kyle really let you down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that's way more than I knew before. This is so awkward because I really don't want this car because of this, but my family gave it to me and I don't want to insult them. I have a job that keeps me neutral on revenue, but would have to sell this (insulting Dad's gift) to buy something or else give it back and go into debt. Not sure what I'm going to do with this....

Anyone know which manual I should get to look for the modules? Chiltons, Mitchell or Haynes? I only want to buy one.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
I own the official licensed service manual and a subscription to alldatadiy. By comparison, alldata has all the same information and adds more updates (bulletins, recalls, specification changes). I almost exclusively use alldata to check on things now. I have flipped through a Haynes paper manual for comparison and it is nowhere close to what the official service manual and alldatadiy have. For example, alldata has all the onstar communications diagrams, descriptions, and electrical schematics. I have viewed another owner's subscription to Mitchell Pro and it seemed close but a bit less detail and fewer quality illustrations compared to alldata. I have no experience with Chilton. If I was buying today I would go with a subscription to alldatadiy.

Also, I was sort of playing along with the tone of the first post. I am not certain there is a 3rd module in there. But I do have some grinning suspicion they have ways to track stolen cars even if the onstar is removed. Still pretty sure about the other two modules though. I can confirm by looking in my own car the existence of the main telematics communication module under the instrument panel fuse box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL thank you for telling me you were riffing ;) It makes me feel a little more hopeful that maybe I can find and remove everything if I don't have to drop the tank. I'll get the AllDataDIY subscription and trace this down properly after I get done ineffectually shooting these here bulletproof terminators (why do I keep doing this?? it slows me down more than it slows them down)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I feel way better now that I have eyes on the unit.

First off, the OnStar controls up over your head are just buttons; Skynet does not live there. I know, because I literally disassembled that entire module yesterday afternoon before my OP here. It's really basic. One thing I am removing from that is the microphone that plugs into the OnStar module, but you don't have to disassemble it very far to do that.

Skynet is indeed behind the fuse box on the driver's side on my 2017. I'll have to take more stuff apart to get back there, but at least now I know where it is. I can see a Bluetooth logo on it, so I will lose Bluetooth and I'm ok with that.

I'm also going to go ahead and remove the whole headliner. First, I want to get the three microphones that are in it. Yes, I know they're so the car stereo can cancel out road noise and engine noise. That doesn't matter to me, and actually hearing the car helps me feel more at one with it and also know how it's running. It's more important that there are no microphones.

I'm also going to disconnect the sharkfin, probably all the way, but if FM runs through it then I'll see if I can just leave only the FM connected. If I can run new wire from the sharkfin into the cabin of the vehicle then I can connect it to a laptop and have a bad-as-heck WiFi and 4G LTE antenna. With my OpenBSD / linux dual boot laptop, I'll be ready to totally haxx0r the matrix of all these dirty terminators.

FWIW, I have a Faraday bag for my cell phone, and a spiral-bound Rand McNally road atlas. Plus I could always break the cell phone in half and chuck it out the window like some bad mofo if I want to look cool.

So anyway, that's the update. I'll post picture when I get the headliner and dash the rest of the way apart, and label what things are for the reference of others. Then I get to put it all back together, but it will be worth it.

I cut one of the mics in anger, but I think I'm going to save all the parts and I might even solder that mic line back together before I put it in a box. If I ever sell the car, having the parts might be a bonus . . . but honestly I could probably sell it for more money with the privacy "feature" added ;)

Thank you again, campb292! The AllDataDIY suggestion was spot-on.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,595 Posts
The AM and FM antennas are in the rear glass. The OnStar and XM antennas are in the shark fin.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
what are you hoping to gain by removing On*Star that you won't get by just letting the subscription lapse and not using it???...curious as I never subscribe to On*Star anymore but have never removed any of the equipment and have not ever noticed any signs of monitoring or interference in how my car runs...

Good luck with your car

Bill

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
what are you hoping to gain by removing On*Star that you won't get by just letting the subscription lapse and not using it???...curious as I never subscribe to On*Star anymore but have never removed any of the equipment and have not ever noticed any signs of monitoring or interference in how my car runs...

Good luck with your car

Bill
In gen9, not sure about other years, there is no physical compass module or sensor. It uses the onstar module's GPS to produce direction display on the DIC. Even if your subscription lapses the GPS is still active. You can have an inactive onstar subscription and still receive critical in-vehicle voice messaging for recalls, alerts, etc. This is something that will likely error out or become "CAL" if the onstar is removed.

Reactions: SilverSport

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
Black helicopters and tin foil hats here we come....
I've heard if you enter a car with an active onstar subscription your skin is instantly magnetized. You can prove this by grabbing a fork and placing it on top of your head. If you remain very still it will stay there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In reply to post #8, what I hope to gain is privacy. I think it's hilarious that people are driving to BLM / AntiFa / militia protests in cars with sharkfins. Not that I go to such events, but I'm not vaccinating and I'm not cooperating with any mandatory testing, so now I'm a dissident I suppose.

Onstar's terms of service, User Terms for OnStar Mobile & Connected Services | OnStar

"11. Modification to Agreement. We may modify this Agreement by giving You notice or by asking You to read and accept a new version of this Agreement. We may give You notice by posting a new version of the Agreement on the Website. If You do not agree with any modification, then You may not use the Services. Your continued access or use of any of the Services after our notice indicates your acceptance to the modified Agreement."

Well, if I don't unhook it, and I use the compass direction indicator on the dashboard, am I continuing to use the service?

"Cybersecurity. As part of the Services, for the purpose of protecting your security, your rights, and the security of your Vehicle and the Systems, You agree that we may (i) monitor the Systems in your Vehicle and information within those Systems in accordance with the Privacy Statement, and (ii) implement protective measures within the Systems to defend against security threats"

Cybersecurity of my property is my domain, and I do a good job of it.

"26. Data Collection / Privacy. GM collects, uses, and shares information from and about You and your Vehicle. The GM Privacy Statement describes what GM does with that information. You consent to the collection, use, and sharing of information described in the Privacy Statement and in any revisions to the Privacy Statement, which may be modified as described in that document. If You sell, transfer, lease or dispose of your Vehicle or your Connected Device You are solely responsible for deleting information about You contained in the Vehicle or Connected Device, or in your related account."

Additionally, OnStar previously tried to add notice that they were going to sell where we go and what we do to 3rd parties like Facebook does, but then they had to back off of this due to public pressure. This shows bad intent.

In the end, it's a matter of principle. I've always kept close watch over how I'm tracked. I know my phone does it, which is why I take steps to minimize what it collects, like using the signal-blocking bag when it's not in use. If I don't consent to be tracked, then I need to enforce that on all the software and hardware in my home and in my car. That's increasingly hard to do!

Personally, I don't understand why so many Americans are so relaxed about buying / using things that spy on them. Maybe you guys didn't read enough dystopian novels like Player Piano, Brave New World, Anthem, 1984, Animal Farm and We when you were teenagers? ;)

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
20,595 Posts
In reply to post #8, what I hope to gain is privacy. I think it's hilarious that people are driving to BLM / AntiFa / militia protests in cars with sharkfins. Not that I go to such events, but I'm not vaccinating and I'm not cooperating with any mandatory testing, so now I'm a dissident I suppose.

... snip ...

In the end, it's a matter of principle. I've always kept close watch over how I'm tracked. I know my phone does it, which is why I take steps to minimize what it collects, like using the signal-blocking bag when it's not in use. If I don't consent to be tracked, then I need to enforce that on all the software and hardware in my home and in my car. That's increasingly hard to do!

Personally, I don't understand why so many Americans are so relaxed about buying / using things that spy on them. Maybe you guys didn't read enough dystopian novels like Player Piano, Brave New World, Anthem, 1984, Animal Farm and We when you were teenagers? ;)
You're not a dissident. You're an anarchist. You refuse the science that is as plain as day in front of your nose, people dying all over the world, hospitals at the breaking point, and new surges in Covid-19 due to the uninformed who refuse to get vaccinated. If it's no nevermind to you, why not do it to protect all the rest of us?

Relaxed about Big Brother? What a cop-out. Your whole attitude is a textbook example of paranoia running amok.

If you really don't wanna be spied on, you wouldn't be part of a public forum like this, nor act like you espouse the freedom to think for yourself while standing up to The Man. As I see it, you're a fake.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
thanks SaraConnor for responding but that was my point...On*Star doesn't know where or when you are after your subscription lapses...should you get locked out of your car after the subscription has lapsed and want them to open the door...they can't...not even if you give them your old account number, your VIN etc...not even if you re-subscribe to On*Star because you have to be able to hit the On*Star button to "complete the circuit" so they know where and who you are...

On*Star can always send out blanket messages (to all On*Star subscribers) but they can't just target you because they don't know who you are after the service ends...I know from first hand experience...

...I agree that all the monitoring is overreach and there are some things I won't own because of that but On*Star isn't a worry for me...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
On my 2020 there is an OnStar something (fuses etc.) on top of my battery. I have no idea what it is other than it is OnStar and has several fuses attached to it. You might want to look at that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're not a dissident. You're an anarchist. You refuse the science that is as plain as day in front of your nose, people dying all over the world, hospitals at the breaking point, and new surges in Covid-19 due to the uninformed who refuse to get vaccinated. If it's no nevermind to you, why not do it to protect all the rest of us?

Relaxed about Big Brother? What a cop-out. Your whole attitude is a textbook example of paranoia running amok.

If you really don't wanna be spied on, you wouldn't be part of a public forum like this, nor act like you espouse the freedom to think for yourself while standing up to The Man. As I see it, you're a fake.
Isn't discussing covid a bit off topic and a violation of the forum rules (since the response appears to take a pro-vaccine aggressive position)?

I can tell you with 100% certainty that on star, even when your subscription expires, knows about you. My subscription lapsed over a year and I move over 500 miles away. I was very surprised that I got a subscription renewal notice (with accurate address information) even before the USPS forwarded my mail.

Paranoia is healthy, if you are doing something you don't others to know about (i.e. visiting your girlfriend with your onstar tracking malibu which your wife can use against you in divorce court).

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
Back to onstar, I agree the agent on the phone might not be able to get info from the module in the car if your subscription lapses. But major entities do have that data regardless of the subscription status because of what I mentioned in post 9. The compass of the gen9 uses GPS. The GPS is attained through connection to the GSM network. Your compass works whether you have an active subscription or not. That means AT&T has all of your GPS data. AT&T may not share data with the onstar agent on the phone but I bet you they are sharing data collection info with onstar and other 3rd parties (like 555hp mentioned above). I guess that puts me somewhere in the middle. I believe the data collection is real. I just don't care what is collected because I prefer the features over the privacy concern. I don't believe the police or FBI are out to get me, I don't engage in immoral or illegal behavior, I don't keep my cell phone in a faraday bag, and I do prefer barbeque sauce and bacon on my burger over ketchup and mustard. If AT&T and onstar also know that, I hope it is useful to them and they don't use it against me in the Great Hamburger Tribunals of 2027.

PS: Please don't rip the battery distribution fuse block off the positive side of the battery. You need that.

Reactions: DrivenDaily
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.