Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Just waxed my car with Meguiars NXT 2.0. I thought it did a fairly good job! It was easy enough to put on and take off. I have a question. Some of you have stated that you have put several coats of wax on your car at a time. Does this make a difference? What does it do......make it shine more or protect it better?

I have been using Zaino Bros wax for about 3 years and I haven`t found anything better,this stuff is great.
Thumbs up. Zaino makes great stuff.

Look here:

http://www.autogeek.net/carwax.html

anything from there will pretty much have you set.

if you want to go OTC, check out the mothers reflection line, and megs #26

Response to Kat

Multiple coats will have different results depending on which product you are using. If you are using a carnauba based product, not much difference because the new coat basically strips off the last coat you did.

But the new synthetics are different. They will acutally chemically bond layer upon layer, so you get some better shine and protection.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I will have to try the multiple layers of wax. I don't know much about the mechanics of a car, but I am all about it looking good and clean! :) I like trying new cleaning & waxing products, and learning new techniques on how to care for my car. My husband says I am the only woman he knows that likes to look in the auto section of the stores for new car products.

Do these layers of wax have to be put on one right after the other, or can they be put on a few days a part.....so my old arms can rest?

NXT 2.0 is great stuff!!! looks amazing lasts a while and layers up very nicely :)

but sorry for you guys that use ICE....its junk..... period

Turtle Wax Ice products have their place. If you were to go to their web site you'll find they recommend their products to be used on well kept cars. I've found their Liquid Clay Bar to be less than satisfactory on my truck when it really needed to be cleaned with a traditional clay bar.

The Ice Polish worked fine on my Red Jewel and lasted through the winter. It's extremely easy to apply and there is no worry about white residue being left behind, not even on the black trim pieces. That's important to me.

Recently, Mequires came out with their Ultimate Quick Wax, not to be confused with their Quick Detailer. I tried it yesterday and found it to be very easy to use with minimal effort and satisfactory results. It also leaves no residue on the black trim.

I don't have the time, energy or desire to spend hours on waxing and polishing my vehicles. The easier the product is to apply and the quicker I can finish, determines what's better for me. I'm more likely to do multiple applications of an easy to use product than make an all day affair out of detailing my vehicles. My vehicles look fine and I feel the quality of their appearance merits the continued use of the easier to apply products.

My dad owns a used car dealership and I detailed cars throughout college. Liquid Glass is probably my favorite wax. Goes on really easily and comes off just as easily (you can even leave it on all day). Gives a nice shine and the wax lasts a long time before you need to re-wax. It is a bit pricey but is good.

Another new one I just discovered and coincidentally used on my Malibu this past weekend is 3M Performance Finish. It also seems to be very good and my dad really likes it.

Meguiars is fair but doesn't last long enough and isn't that easy to use. Mothers is a good cleaner wax. A Carnauba based paste works great for buffing. To complement the buff job, apply one of the waxes I mentioned above.

Eagle One Spray Nano Wax. Use it in the sun or shade 90 deg F. or 32 deg F. No white residue. Enhances shine on black trim such as mirrors or lower rear valance panel at rear of Malibu.
Wax whole car in 30 min.

I'd say my favorite durability wax is Collinite Super DoubleCoat #476

My favorite shine product is Meguiar's #20 Polymer Sealant but i picked up a few goodies this winter that may push that out (plus, it's not a wax! ;-))

Before the winter I'll do #20 and two light coats of the 476.

For easy to use product you can pick up at most stores the Mothers wax products are usually fairly good(better than meguiar's based on what i see in stores, though i like meguiar's better overall) since its tough to pinpoint what a chain carries much less where-ever you wind up at(wal mart/target/autozone/etc...)

Everyone has their favorite wax/sealant, there is no wrong answer, just opinions. With that being said I have only used Zaino products on my last four cars. 2006 HHR, 2007 Solstice, 2009 HHR and now the 2010 LTZ. I am satisfied with the results for the amount of work I put in to it. Sal and his brother make some very fine products IMO.

ive been using meguires since ive owned a car. ive tried other products but nothing has done as well IMO

I thought Meguires #26 was the best of the ones I'd used. That included Mother's Carnuba and Gold Class, NXT, and several Turtle Wax products. I now use Pinnacle Liquid Souveran and (for extra special cars) Souveran Paste.

http://www.autogeek.net/carnauba-wax.html

That stuff is way expensive at $95 list but I got it at @ a half-price sale, and it's still cheaper than the Wolfgang Fuzion Estate stuff.

It lasts 2x longer than the #26, goes on easier, and looks better. I never would have thought a wax could be this good. That said, I've owned sliver vehicles before and of all the colors that have difficulty showing a good shine, silver is tops. They just never look to have as deep, wet shine as a nice deep color such as blues, reds and blacks.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.