Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Malibu LS 1.5
Every so often when I accelerate I hear a whistle noise coming from the engine and after a while it goes away ?
Could this be my turbo going out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Malibu LS 1.5
Every so often when I accelerate I hear a whistle noise coming from the engine and after a while it goes away ?
Could this be my turbo going out?
Hello, I can't say for sure that it is the turbo going out. When turbos build boost to accelerate they make a whistling/ winding noise. After market turbos that create lots of boost make the most noise.. however as our year vehical gets older and gets more miles. The seals, gaskets, bearings and bushings start loosing the ability to be quiet. They designed this vehical to be a very quiet car on the road and while just simply running. It may be that the parts put in place to keep you from hearing the turbo spool up are simply getting older and warn down allowing it to be heard more frequently. Do you happen to notice the noise when your accelerating quickly V.S. just normal acceleration?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I can't say for sure that it is the turbo going out. When turbos build boost to accelerate they make a whistling/ winding noise. After market turbos that create lots of boost make the most noise.. however as our year vehical gets older and gets more miles. The seals, gaskets, bearings and bushings start loosing the ability to be quiet. They designed this vehical to be a very quiet car on the road and while just simply running. It may be that the parts put in place to keep you from hearing the turbo spool up are simply getting older and warn down allowing it to be heard more frequently. Do you happen to notice the noise when your accelerating quickly V.S. just normal acceleration?
It's more of a whirl than a spool and it only happens once or twice then I can hear the boost spool up normally , after it's been sitting for a day or servals hours it'll do the same but tend to go away after driving

1 - 3 of 3 Posts