Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious to know after having our car for a little over a week now, who has either resigned with OnStar after the free year is up or is planning to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I pretty much use OnStar every day. I use the Virtual Adviser to check my traffic to see which route I should take to/from work every morning and evening (since one accident on our beltway can easily cause a 2-3 hour delay). I also use the eNav quite a bit. I will definitely renew, but I'll be sure to get the Directions/Connections upgrade. In the pamphlet, it says using Virtual Adviser uses phone minutes, but it never has for me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm planning on renewing mine also. XM radio... NOT

·
Registered
74 Posts
I pretty much use OnStar every day. I use the Virtual Adviser to check my traffic to see which route I should take to/from work every morning and evening (since one accident on our beltway can easily cause a 2-3 hour delay). I also use the eNav quite a bit. I will definitely renew, but I'll be sure to get the Directions/Connections upgrade. In the pamphlet, it says using Virtual Adviser uses phone minutes, but it never has for me.
Redhorse,
How does Virtual adviser check traffic for you?
That feature alone is worth the renewal.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I definitely plan on renewing with Directions & Connections! I use it every day to find things I need.. I also like the peace of mind knowing that help is a touch of a button away or automatic (since I NEVER know where I am.. literally), you can have your vehicle unlocked remotely if you lock your keys inside, you can have your vehicle tracked if stolen, you can get roadside assistance, etc...

I actually used it the other day for good samaritan purposes.. a vehicle became disabled in the middle of an intersection and they connected me with the local police and relayed my location.. great tool.

Redhorse,
It only uses your prepaid minutes when you have the Safe & Sound plan.. it's an included feature with Directions & Connections and therefore doesn't deduct from your minutes.

bf1942,
When you call into Virtual Advisor, based on your current location (and settings on OnStar.com), it will tell you of any major/unusual traffic events within a radius you specify (I believe the default is 5mi).

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would suicide without XM!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think Onstar is kinda neat, but I doubt I will renew. It's only worth maybe $5/month for me. I don't see the real value in it since most services provided by onstar could be covered by a combination of cell phone, gps, and roadside assistance, all of which I already have.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Im planning on keeping it..

Its kind of hard to put a value on safety and convience.. I dont care how many other features or cell phones you have.. The Phone in an accident will not always be with you or where you can reach it after an accident..

My Cavalier rolled over and not only did my cell phone fly out the moon roof I was pinned and couldnt get out.. If it wasnt for someone stopping to help no telling if I would ever gotten out.. Now that I have onstar I feel much safer..

I use the GPs Feature as well a good bit so I plan on keeping the full service..

My life is worth a few extra bucks a month

·
Registered
36 Posts
useless in the county i live in they do not have an agreement, also it interupts the radio, bought a good gps for less!

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I will renew my OnStar when it's time. For me just knowing that if it's stolen it can be traced and recovered. I will also renew my XM.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I renewed my XM for at least 6 months. Only paying 4.99 per month for the six. That's worth it. Will have to look at OnStar. Not sure it's worth the money when I really don't use it.

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I renewed my XM for at least 6 months. Only paying 4.99 per month for the six. That's worth it. Will have to look at OnStar. Not sure it's worth the money when I really don't use it.
How did you get that deal. I would renew XM for $4.99 a month. Honestly, I don't think it's worth more than $6 or 7 bucks a month, not the $13.99 they like to charge.

Same thing with onstar, wonderful service, but I don't think it's worth more than $10 a month for me. I do like it but it's not a necessity.

·
Registered
573 Posts
XM is a joke now. There are freaking commercials on some channels and they even upped the price to renew.

Onstar is kind of cool. We dont use it very often but the few times we have its been pretty good. I still think the price is too high. GM could make a ton of money by lowering it to $99-119 a year for the safe and sound plan as most people just want the basic stuff and dont need all that fluff.

Crash assistance, stolen vehicle, crisis and remote door unlock should be a VERY base plan for $60-70 a year.

IE, I dont need onstar to do the diagnostics. The car will tell you whats wrong with an idiot light and then you get the code read for free at an autoparts store. I also dont like the roadside assistance feature. My insurance company includes this on my full coverage for no fee.

·
Registered
438 Posts
XM is a joke now. There are freaking commercials on some channels and they even upped the price to renew.

Onstar is kind of cool. We dont use it very often but the few times we have its been pretty good. I still think the price is too high. GM could make a ton of money by lowering it to $99-119 a year for the safe and sound plan as most people just want the basic stuff and dont need all that fluff.

Crash assistance, stolen vehicle, crisis and remote door unlock should be a VERY base plan for $60-70 a year.

IE, I dont need onstar to do the diagnostics. The car will tell you whats wrong with an idiot light and then you get the code read for free at an autoparts store. I also dont like the roadside assistance feature. My insurance company includes this on my full coverage for no fee.

Im in the same boat. I like XM, but at what cost? They're changing the channel line up too much, and Ive noticed more & more commercials. I love having access to sports while traveling, though, and not losing the signal, so we'll see. I think my trial is technically up, but I haven't lost service yet.

OnStar is also really cool for some things. I dont want the directions or anything, but I like the idea of being able to open my car with a phone call, get assistance when needed, emergency/theft protection, etc., but again, at what cost?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Im in the same boat. I like XM, but at what cost? They're changing the channel line up too much, and Ive noticed more & more commercials. I love having access to sports while traveling, though, and not losing the signal, so we'll see. I think my trial is technically up, but I haven't lost service yet.

OnStar is also really cool for some things. I dont want the directions or anything, but I like the idea of being able to open my car with a phone call, get assistance when needed, emergency/theft protection, etc., but again, at what cost?
Totally agree with the channels changing... it's because of stupid Sirius (since they're merging/merged)...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Redhorse,
It only uses your prepaid minutes when you have the Safe & Sound plan.. it's an included feature with Directions & Connections and therefore doesn't deduct from your minutes.
I didn't know that! Thanks! I have searched the whole GM website and read all the literature on OnStar and have not found that anywhere...where did you find that out??

When you call into Virtual Advisor, based on your current location (and settings on OnStar.com), it will tell you of any major/unusual traffic events within a radius you specify (I believe the default is 5mi).
It will start by asking you if you want to go to eNav (where you can store locations from MapQuest). I just say "Get my traffic". I have set up local traffic, plus my primary route and a secondary route. It gives me all updates regarding road construction and accidents locally, for my primary and then for my secondary route. That way, I know which route to take home.

You can also get weather and stock information (you need to go to your OnStar account and set it up).

·
Registered
749 Posts
I didn't know that! Thanks! I have searched the whole GM website and read all the literature on OnStar and have not found that anywhere...where did you find that out??
Trying to be honest, I called and asked them why my minutes weren't being deducted and the advisor told me that's only on the safe/sound plan

·
Registered
97 Posts
...but I like the idea of being able to open my car with a phone call, get assistance when needed, emergency/theft protection, etc., but again, at what cost?
The Directions and Conns plan is $299/year, less than a dollar per day -- less than a morning cup of coffee at most places, so worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.