Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm a newbee to this forum. This Saturday i will be picking up my Black Granit 09 1LT from the dealer. Don't get me wrong i love the color. Can anyone explain to me why it is an extra charge for it though? I doesn't seem so different from alot of other blacks i have seen. I wanted Black so i will pay the extra $200 or so to get it but i must say it seems like Chevy is nitpicking with the extra fee. :confused:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Haha... The charge for black now too.
Don't feel bad, they got me for an extra $250 for the Red Jewel Coat.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now you got me wondering...I'll have to look and see what it was for the Imperial Blue Metallic

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't think they charged for that.
For 08 I think it was only the Red that they charged for, and then for 09 and think they added in the Black.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The Red Jewel is a multi/extra step process, hence the bigger extra charge for that.

As for the Black Granite, I'm not specifically sure, but as black metallic (not just basic black), there's either something extra with the process or it's just seen as a color that's "worth" the small extra charge--just viewing it as a premium color/paint.

Otherwise, it's only the Red Jewel and Black Granite that have upcharges. Everything else is no cost.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The black granite is only an extra $95 I believe.. but they have this thing in the paint that makes it kind of sparkle when you look at it. When your car's clean and it's daytime look very closely and you'll notice them. I'm assuming that's the reason for the additional cost.

I have a black one and it's totally worth the extra monies haha

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yup when I looked at the black one it was 95 for that and 205 for the red jewel

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
The black granite is only an extra $95 I believe.. but they have this thing in the paint that makes it kind of sparkle when you look at it. When your car's clean and it's daytime look very closely and you'll notice them. I'm assuming that's the reason for the additional cost.

I have a black one and it's totally worth the extra monies haha
Actually, yes, that does remind me that there is "something" special with the Black Granite, at least slightly. Other than being simply metallic black, the added sparkle was enough for those on a Cadillac forum, where the color is offered as "Black Ice" in addition to basic "Black Raven" and they charge $495 for it vs. the $195 as it is here with the Malibu and others.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It has to be something more than the sparkle...hence the Blue "Metallic". The blue seems to have metal flake in it and sparkles the same way as the black when it is clean and it is sunny out. I have compared the two side by side. I cannot vouch for the red jewel though. If mine didn't cost extra then who am I to complain.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well then maybe that's the reason it's a "premium" colour.. like the Cadillac's White Pearl or w/e it's called now.. (although that was an extra $1,000).. it was normally white but when it gets hit by the sun, it turns into a pearl kind of colour.. looks pretty kewl actually

·
Registered
749 Posts
Maybe the cost went up... officially on my invoice.. it was $95 for 2008

·
Registered
573 Posts
On my 09 LTZ the invoice lists it as a $95 dollar option as well.

The reason its extra cost is because it has a SECOND coat of metallic flakes in it. Thats why it looks sorta color shifting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On my 09 LTZ the invoice lists it as a $95 dollar option as well.

The reason its extra cost is because it has a SECOND coat of metallic flakes in it. Thats why it looks sorta color shifting.
Thanks bballer. When did you buy your 09, because i am getting charged $195? Like i said, i checked it out on the Chevy website and it also says $195, so i don't think the dealer is ripping me off.

·
Registered
573 Posts
We bought ours about two weeks ago. It is a 11/08 build and on the window sticker it said it was $95. The other black granite that was at our dealer was also $95.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.