Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the widest tire you have fit within the stock fenders of your Malibu without rolling/pulling the fenders?

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,942 Posts
I've run 2 different brands with 235, and stock is 225.

I would love to try on a 245 or 255, but my tires don't need replaced just yet . . .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wider tires are great for driving in a straight line but less appropriate for twisty roads. Ask yourself why you want wider tires and how it will affect your steering geometry and stresses on the components. Wider is not always better.
I should have added in my question about stress on suspension components, which is something important. I should rephrase my question with "How much wider that stock can I go without damaging suspension components?". I want to go slightly wider wheel and tire to get more flush with the fender, I'm talking 15-20mm wider than stock, maybe wider depending what feedback I get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've run 2 different brands with 235, and stock is 225.

I would love to try on a 245 or 255, but my tires don't need replaced just yet . . .
OK nice! Yea 255s would be perfect depending on the width of the wheel I go with. I'd have to look up how wide of a wheel I'd have to go with to fit that size of a tire on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a gen 5/6 Malibu so i am unsure of the Gen 7 malibu rim specifications but most tire stores will limit your changes to two sizes up or one down to limit their liability. From a purely numerical point of view the width limitation comes from your rim width or fender clearance, whichever is met first, also suspension travel can come into play. you must clear components (including body work) at the extremes of suspension and extremes of steering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts