Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003(5th Gen) Base Model Malibu and I am wondering if there is a possibility of it becoming a future classic car? I take good care of it and it currently only has 54k miles! Do Malibus often become future classics?
Thank You to everyone who gives me good answers!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
The short answer is no.

There is nothing wrong with the 5th gen Malibu and they made a lot of them but it's not outstanding or noteworthy. It's plain vanilla.
Cars that become collectable have to catch the public's interest at the time they were introduced. This doesn't mean they are a sales success, just on the public radar.

In the future, should someone be touring a museum and a Malibu is on display, a grandfather touring with his grandson may say he remembers them, but he won't have a story. The same museum with a K-car on display will give the grandfather something to talk about as the K-car helped save Chrysler in the early 80's. A Smart car is a good investment as a collectable because they are dirt cheap right now, and when they were introduced, they were an odd-ball so people took notice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depends on who's into them. Any 19 year old car with low miles should be worth something more than it would be as a car that wasn't taken care of. I personally like seeing old cars riding around that still look like new, doesn't matter what it is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The short answer is no.

There is nothing wrong with the 5th gen Malibu and they made a lot of them but it's not outstanding or noteworthy. It's plain vanilla.
Cars that become collectable have to catch the public's interest at the time they were introduced. This doesn't mean they are a sales success, just on the public radar.

In the future, should someone be touring a museum and a Malibu is on display, a grandfather touring with his grandson may say he remembers them, but he won't have a story. The same museum with a K-car on display will give the grandfather something to talk about as the K-car helped save Chrysler in the early 80's. A Smart car is a good investment as a collectable because they are dirt cheap right now, and when they were introduced, they were an odd-ball so people took notice.
Depends on who's into them. Any 19 year old car with low miles should be worth something more than it would be as a car that wasn't taken care of. I personally like seeing old cars riding around that still look like new, doesn't matter what it is.
[/QUOT
The gen 5 was actually a rebadged Oldsmobile Cutlass-nothing wrong with that just saying. I agree-seeing an old well maintained vehicle is definitely cool unless it’s a Ford Pinto😩

·
Super Moderator
2017 SS Sedan 6.2L
5,505 Posts
The 5th gen is a perfectly OK car with an unremarkable design and unremarkable engineering with no performance options. It's not a car that is going to leave an impression on the industry looking back.

If there was a modern era Malibu that could ~maybe~ have a cult following in the future, my money would be on the 7th gen LTZ 3.6L model. The design and luxury qualities made waves in 2008 and it had all of GM's best FWD equipment so it still holds up from the driver's seat today. It also represented major turning point for GM design and manufacturing.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Is it a 4 door car? It willl never Become,e desirable. . Lets look ,ack in hostory at ...what if any 4 door cars became wortH anythimg......personally I cant tHink of any.. There is a lack of personality with these cars....because of the generic mature of these cars, yoU probaly wont see them go down in History as desirable. But I still want a Chevette , an old 1970 vega , to name a couple.......so what do i onow

Just my opinion......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it a 4 door car? It willl never Become,e desirable. . Lets look ,ack in hostory at ...what if any 4 door cars became wortH anythimg......personally I cant tHink of any.. There is a lack of personality with these cars....because of the generic mature of these cars, yoU probaly wont see them go down in History as desirable. But I still want a Chevette , an old 1970 vega , to name a couple.......so what do i onow

Just my opinion......
Yeah a 1979 Monte Carlo is more desirable than a Caprice or Caddy Sedan Deville but I love em all

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yeah a 1979 Monte Carlo is more desirable than a Caprice or Caddy Sedan Deville but I love em all
Many years ago I bought my son a 2005 Malibu. It had 50K miles and was a plain Jane model. That car got the boy thru college and it never missed a beat....rock solid. He made several trips out west and did minimal if any maintenance on it. The boy graduated as an engineer and immediately bought a fancy smancy Volvo....with a fancy smancy price tag. He gave the old Malibu back to me with 140K miles on it. I put in a Delco fuel pump, breaks, rotors, timing chain, water pump and new gaskets plus a new air conditioner switch. The parts were mostly OEM and dirt cheap. Going to give it to one of my grandkids.....he'll love it and I bet it runs for years to come. Can't beat those 2.2, 4 cylinder engines....they purr. These cars are not pretty but presentable and last forever. I might b crazy but I like them!

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, 4 doors. could it become a savior? yes. there are people that wanted or had cars when they were young and looking for them now. kinda like baby boomers have been doing for years with the muscle cars. I have some 1980s convertibles that are going up in price.( still not worth a bunch) I even bought a 1985 celica gts hatch. it sat in a barn for 20 years. no rust so I will restore and save it. its 2 doors and was popular in its day. but and I do mean but. this car even restored will only bring 8 to 10k. I say drive it. if it is no rust perhaps dont drive during winter. I dont drive my girls in the winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do a Craigslist search? If you could store it and not drive it for the next 50 years it would be worth a good bit. Though you could sell it now and invest the $ in the S&P for 50 years. Issue would be would you still be alive in 50 years. What would be the cost of storage? In 50 years could anyone find gas to run it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do a Craigslist search? If you could store it and not drive it for the next 50 years it would be worth a good bit. Though you could sell it now and invest the $ in the S&P for 50 years. Issue would be would you still be alive in 50 years. What would be the cost of storage? In 50 years could anyone find gas to run it.
A classic car is 20-25 years old-an antique is like 40-50 years old-just saying cuz the thread was about “…..a classic “

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Look..... around here there is a k car...... dodge areas ..... has under 100 km o it..... thats less than 50 miles ...... itts een upfor sale at t,e same dealer.....ever s8nce....nobpdy has bouten it......its going for sticker price....which was back then around 14k........ its only ever been around the block....by the deqler..... butit is Shpwroom stock ....brand jew.....and someone still wont buy it

I think its a 1984

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dodge
Look..... around here there is a k car...... dodge areas ..... has under 100 km o it..... thats less than 50 miles ...... itts een upfor sale at t,e same dealer.....ever s8nce....nobpdy has bouten it......its going for sticker price....which was back then around 14k........ its only ever been around the block....by the deqler..... butit is Shpwroom stock ....brand jew.....and someone still wont buy it

I think its a 1984
A buddy of mine had one back around then (we graduated HS in ‘84) not a desirable car-I’ve owned 2 of the worst cars ever-a 1984 Renault Alliance & 1983 Cadillac Cimarron -I put the Dodge Aries K on par with those but I’m definitely not an expert

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
If you bought that Dodge, drove it off and 10 min. later someone rear-ended you and totaled it Ins. Co. would only pay the book value of it, not what you paid for it. Plus, it's just a transportation device, I've driven a few of them as rentals back then.

Reactions: Darthz

·
Super Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T/6-speed 6T40
3,665 Posts
Just for giggles, there is a gen6 Malibu that is officially a Classic. It's the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic!

Reactions: Darthz

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just for giggles, there is a gen6 Malibu that is officially a Classic. It's the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic!
I bought a 2007 Gen 6 when the 2008 Gen 7 came out-Chevy called Gen 5 “classic “ when 6 debuted so I guess used it again when 7 was introduced

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
Malibu's stopped being classics or possible ones when they went front wheel drive.
BTW former owner of a '65 and '67.

Reactions: JJA
1 - 17 of 17 Posts