Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question to those who have some miles on their cars.
Do you get stone chips on the hood or anywhere on the painted metal on the front?
I normally put plastic deflectors on my cars, but I am thinking that with the plastic around the grill I maybe don't have to worry?

·
Registered
781 Posts
A question to those who have some miles on their cars.
Do you get stone chips on the hood or anywhere on the painted metal on the front?
I normally put plastic deflectors on my cars, but I am thinking that with the plastic around the grill I maybe don't have to worry?
So far we only have one stone chip above the top grill opening.
The way the hood is made I would think it would be hard to have a deflector that look decent. I just keep touch up paint on hand.
You could go the 3M film route.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I am kinda hoping that with this grill configuration there's not gonna be a lot of chipping...in all my cars before the majority of chips were on the very from of the hood....and then all of those cars had this gradually sloping front ends, an easy target.

·
Registered
781 Posts
well, I am kinda hoping that with this grill configuration there's not gonna be a lot of chipping....
I think you're right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did have a walnut fall from a tree and hit my hood...a nice deep white scratch and two good paint "splashes" above it.

I made a trip to Florida and regret it...I have four noticeable (only if you get up on them) indentions from rocks, one of which broke to the metal.

My first scratch came from a semi dropping rock; first rock was all that it took for me to get into the other lane, but by then it was too late. It is about the size of a 1/4 of my pinky nail, but it pains me to see it. All are below the bottom plastic grille except the last one I mentioned, located just below the Chevy bowtie.

But touch-up paint is coming in the dealership in a week so :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nah, shouldn't be a problem. Especially if GM sends you the paint touch-up kit that came with my '07 Malibu.

·
Registered
700 Posts
So far we only have one stone chip above the top grill opening.
The way the hood is made I would think it would be hard to have a deflector that look decent. I just keep touch up paint on hand.
You could go the 3M film route.
Just a follow up note to Lee's message above regarding the 3M Film route...

Unforunately this is not really an option for us. I did a lot of research when I ordered my 09' and the dealer was already to have it installed ($150 CDN Option). Until the day I took delivery and my dealer called me and asked for my advise.

It seems as of right now the 3M film is pointless to put on our cars. You see the kit that 3M provides only covers THE HOOD! :eek:

The kit does not currently include any protection for the front nose clip, headlights, top of the car, or the grill area. It is but one piece of film that spans only the hood. Thus leaving the areas on the top exposed, and the front nose clip.

Needless to say I was and am still not impressed by this, I am working on finding someone who does this and can do a "custom" application job for me to help negate the stone chips that will inevitable.

Hope this helps clear up anyone's thoughts on doing this.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a follow up note to Lee's message above regarding the 3M Film route...

Unforunately this is not really an option for us. I did a lot of research when I ordered my 09' and the dealer was already to have it installed ($150 CDN Option). Until the day I took delivery and my dealer called me and asked for my advise.

It seems as of right now the 3M film is pointless to put on our cars. You see the kit that 3M provides only covers THE HOOD! :eek:

The kit does not currently include any protection for the front nose clip, headlights, top of the car, or the grill area. It is but one piece of film that spans only the hood. Thus leaving the areas on the top exposed, and the front nose clip.

Needless to say I was and am still not impressed by this, I am working on finding someone who does this and can do a "custom" application job for me to help negate the stone chips that will inevitable.

Hope this helps clear up anyone's thoughts on doing this.
I thought 3m as well as hood protectors are always meant for the front of the hood only...I would think chipping of plastic is not a biggie because it's not going to rust. None of those solutions provide full protection (well, maybe for some cars that have no pronounced grille)...To get that, I think the only option is the full nose bra, but I would recommend against it. Not only it usually looks ugly, but it also traps moisture/dirt under it, so on the long run, without regular cleaning under it it will do more damage than good...

A coworker of mine drives a 02 Malibu...It seems that his car gets much less chipping with that design than any of the cars I have had. Also I used to own a Ranger pickup, it had a brick like front end. Can't recall any significant chips during 2 year period and about 70.000 km of driving ... On the other hand my 07 Accord had several nasty chips within a year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought 3m as well as hood protectors are always meant for the front of the hood only...I would think chipping of plastic is not a biggie because it's not going to rust. None of those solutions provide full protection (well, maybe for some cars that have no pronounced grille)...To get that, I think the only option is the full nose bra, but I would recommend against it. Not only it usually looks ugly, but it also traps moisture/dirt under it, so on the long run, without regular cleaning under it it will do more damage than good...

A coworker of mine drives a 02 Malibu...It seems that his car gets much less chipping with that design than any of the cars I have had. Also I used to own a Ranger pickup, it had a brick like front end. Can't recall any significant chips during 2 year period and about 70.000 km of driving ... On the other hand my 07 Accord had several nasty chips within a year.
Here is a link to the Malibu Clear Plastic FULL FRONT kit. There is one for those WITH front license plate and one for those WITHOUT front license plate. And you can even get smaller kits...just for the mirrors or the headlights etc.

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bi...008&make=CHEVROLET&model=MALIBU&submodel=BASE

The main link is

http://www.invisiblemask.com

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
700 Posts

Yury....

Understanding what you are saying, however painted plastic still chips to, that is why I was looking for something like what was posted about the invisible mask. It helps with stone chips, and with bugs, I do mostly ALL highway driving so I want to find something to protect it nicely and is not going to cause more damage over time (i.e. a bra).

Cheers,

·
Registered
781 Posts
DOACanada
Did you notice in the link above (post#9) there was a film for the back bumper deck. This may help you when loading tools into your trunk.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I would think chipping of plastic is not a biggie because it's not going to rust.
It will not rust, but can still be ugly.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will not rust, but can still be ugly.
I guess that's true....However, I am trying to recall if I ever got any ugly looking chips on plastic on my other cars..Can't really recall any. I guess it depends on how it chips, if paint comes off revealing the actual plastic color..
What's the color under the paint there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.