Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Malibu. This morning I got in the car and turned the AC on....... except no AC. Tried to roll down the Automatic Windows because it's quite hot in the car........ except the windows won't roll down. I decided to take the car for a drive by myself to see what else might not be working. I got on the Highway and pushed the Cruise Control button........ except no Cruise Control.

The AC has been acting flaky for some time now. Shutting itself off, changing from recycle to the external button by itself. This was a minor annoyance because you could hold the recycle button and for the most part that would keep it cool in the car. But now it doesn't work all together, and that's a problem. But it doesn't explain the problems with the windows not working and the cruise control not working.

I took the AC Control Head out of the dash and cleaned the contacts on the knobs. I didn't really think that would fix it but it was worth a shot. I was right, it didn't fix it. I have checked all the fuses that I know of. Including the left and right fuse panels on the ends of the dash and the one on the drivers side under the hood. All of those fuses seem to be good. Every last one of them in fact.

So given all that, here's my question. Does anyone know what is wrong with my car?

Thanks,

Rich:):confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it possible that the ignition switch is the problem? My brother-in-law and I were working on it this afternoon and he noticed that the ignition switch locks up just a bit. After having wiggled the switch a little al the problems have resolved. So I am going to replace the ignition switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
the ignintion switch could be it, it controls the power, as on and off goes. but i dont think that would the problem, try taking a Ohm meter and checking for power at the AC plug, and the wires for te windows (the wire loom going into the door)

my guess is that there is a short somewhere. it is hard to say where it would be.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I worked on a Chrysler once that needed an Ignition Switch. Its been about 14 years. If I remember correctly, The Radio, AC and a few other things cut out. Its very possible. Since its all wired through the Switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did resolve it, and it was the ignition switch. I have however since sold that vehicle. I hope this helps you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.