Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Boston and the winters around here are usually filled with lots and lots and lots of SNOW! The mixture of salt and snow on the roads are atrocious and it will be a pain keeping my bu looking nice and clean. Also I'm afraid of it getting stuck since its FWD. I believe FWD is better in snow then RWD but still, I'm locking up this baby in my garage this winter, probably ALL winters since i have an 08 Honda CRV with 4 wheel drive to plow over the heaps of snow :D anyone else thinking about locking up their bu for their winter?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I also live in MA (Worcester County where snow is CRAZY!). I intend on going out and driving extra recklessly in the "'bu" LOL

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also live in MA (Worcester County where snow is CRAZY!). I intend on going out and driving extra recklessly in the "'bu" LOL
LOL Worcester County has insane amounts of snow, sometimes i wish i could go to school in Worcester since they always have closures with almost every snow fall

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Snow is snow. I grew up partially in western PA which sometimes can be like Canada with heaps of snow, and never an issue.

If you can't get around quite well in a FWD car with traction control (or even without), you have issues. Definitely not the traction of something AWD, but once you're moving the difference is faint.

Drive the 'Bu or drive the CRV, all will be fine either way. It's just snow;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Snow is snow. I grew up partially in western PA which sometimes can be like Canada with heaps of snow, and never an issue.

If you can't get around quite well in a FWD car with traction control (or even without), you have issues. Definitely not the traction of something AWD, but once you're moving the difference is faint.

lol true, ill give it a shot in our first serious snow fall, it should be fun :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
Marshmellow we're "Massholes"... you should come out on the Massachusetts Turnpike and drive recklessly with me! We'll run those 'dips from Connecticut off the road during the next major snowstorm where OTHER motorists (Not us since we're in the Malibus LOL) will be left to abandon their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Marshmellow we're "Massholes"... you should come out on the Massachusetts Turnpike and drive recklessly with me! We'll run those 'dips from Connecticut off the road during the next major snowstorm where motorists will be left to abandon their vehicles.
Sounds fun:D

·
Registered
472 Posts

I agree. Get 4 snow tires on it and you can go almost anywhere. I have an All Wheel Drive Tahoe with 4 snow tires but have been cutting down on using it due to gas mileage. Other than the Tahoe and my Corvettes I have been driving front wheel drive cars since the early 70s and they can go just about anywhere if you have the right tires. On the highway at high speeds in the snow they are actually more stable than an All or 4 Wheel Drive vehicle. Just keep your foot on the throttle and you can swap lanes through slush and piled up snow and all the back end will do is wiggle around a little. A lot more touchy when the rear wheels are driven.

Bill

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
A bit of a scientific note...

FWD vehicles are generally safer for driving on paved, but snowed and iced, roads. This is due to their typically having thinner tires (which slice through the snow better than the broad ones used on SUVs and sports cars) and the engine's weight being on top of the drive wheels, which increases its handling.

Your back tires are like a trailer...no matter which way they go as long as you power on the front wheels and keep your tires turned the direction you want they will not fail you and you will stay on the path you want.

I prefer FWD vehicles in the snow unless I'm going off-road anyways :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marshmellow we're "Massholes"... you should come out on the Massachusetts Turnpike and drive recklessly with me! We'll run those 'dips from Connecticut off the road during the next major snowstorm where OTHER motorists (Not us since we're in the Malibus LOL) will be left to abandon their vehicles.
LOLL no problem! ill definately be on the pike just for that :p it should be fun driving to NY during snow fall because New Yorkers drive INSANELY. New York drivers plus snow? sounds like ill be using my horn alot, no offence to any new yorkers here :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bit of a scientific note...

FWD vehicles are generally safer for driving on paved, but snowed and iced, roads. This is due to their typically having thinner tires (which slice through the snow better than the broad ones used on SUVs and sports cars) and the engine's weight being on top of the drive wheels, which increases its handling.

Your back tires are like a trailer...no matter which way they go as long as you power on the front wheels and keep your tires turned the direction you want they will not fail you and you will stay on the path you want.

I prefer FWD vehicles in the snow unless I'm going off-road anyways :D
hey thanks for the advice truitt! you learn something new everyday, i was afraid of driving my malibu because my parents owned an 01 and my mom got the car stuck so many times but for some reason my dad had no problem, mind you my mom wasn't as experienced as my dad whose been driving for 30 years. I was just thinking id get stuck also since im 17 and i've been driving for a year and a half now but only drove in the snow with my CRV. Guess ill just have to learn from experience also if i do get stuck :D

and BTW i know im really spoiled to have a brand new malibu at 17 especially since it was the car i really wanted

·
Registered
749 Posts
Marshmellow, we're both spoiled it's all good who cares what anyone thinks hahah.. remember if you get stuck in the Malibu for whatever reason you can always use OnStar and get a phonecall from Chevrolet Roadside Assistance every 15 minutes for 3 hours.. or just txt me I'll ram you outta the mess haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.