Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks...

OK, what are those that need to doing about winter tires and rims?

I have 18" rims.....and want to make sure I put something on that is not going to effect my speedometer.

Guessing I will have to go down to either 16's or 17's in order to get winter steelies that will fit the car.

Thoughts, ideas....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hey Folks...

I have 18" rims.....and want to make sure I put something on that is not going to effect my speedometer.

Guessing I will have to go down to either 16's or 17's in order to get winter steelies that will fit the car.

Thoughts, ideas....
Winter? What is this winter you speak of?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The P215/55R17 that is on my car is very close in rolling diameter to the 18". Not sure if there is a winter tire in that size. I would think that a 60 series tire would be close in 16inch.
Perhaps you can find a set of 16 or 17 inch take-offs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sams club has 16 inch winter tires incl rims tires were BF goodrich winter slolom 215 65r 16 I believe were the size for about 670 plus tax.won't change speedo at all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I ve been thinking the same thoughts , but I may try to use the 18 s that are on now. I don t think that tire we have will be bad at all. I m in the upstate NY snowbelt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't dare run these stock 18" tires in the winter, they are barely passable as summer tires (not a lot of grip). I wish I had the money to replace them with a better tire.

I am going with a tire package from TireRack which is 17" alloys and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (studless ice/snow) P255-50-17. Being in VT, I believe in snow tires, especially with the hills I need to climn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn't dare run these stock 18" tires in the winter, they are barely passable as summer tires (not a lot of grip). I wish I had the money to replace them with a better tire.

I am going with a tire package from TireRack which is 17" alloys and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (studless ice/snow) P255-50-17. Being in VT, I believe in snow tires, especially with the hills I need to climn.
My new 2LT is on order and considering the time of year I'm having the dealer install at set of Bridgestone Blizzal WS60 on steel rims. In regards to sizing I dropped down from the factory installed 225/50/17 to 215/60/16, which the dealer agreed with. My reasoning for this is a slimmer tire is better for winter driving. The size was determined using this calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am glad to hear someone else say this. I though I was the only one who thought the Goodyear Eagle LS2 were almost complete junk. There are some other choices in 225/50-18 but none that I have liked enough to pull the trigger on yet. I am waiting to see what Michelin comes up with.

To stay on topic, a 16" factory steelie with 225/60-16 is a very close match size wise (.3" diameter smaller) and there is a hugh selection of winter tires in that size.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My package included Tire Pressure Monitors. A set of four was $140.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am glad to hear someone else say this. I though I was the only one who thought the Goodyear Eagle LS2 were almost complete junk. There are some other choices in 225/50-18 but none that I have liked enough to pull the trigger on yet. I am waiting to see what Michelin comes up with.

To stay on topic, a 16" factory steelie with 225/60-16 is a very close match size wise (.3" diameter smaller) and there is a hugh selection of winter tires in that size.
Michelin has a new Xice Xi2 coming out for 17" and 18" that would fit the Malibu but the date keeps shifting...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Folks...

Thoughts, ideas....
Bridgestone, Blizzack makes 225-50-18

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.