Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Sorry for bringing this up so soon, but has anyone bothered installing winter tires on their 08 Malibu? I'm picking up an 09 soon in October (Fingers crossed) and am wondering if I should look at picking up Winter tires and RIMS if necessary.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I only live in New England, United States so our winters are quite different I'm sure.. but from what I have heard from the other Malibu owners is these actually do quite well in the snow with the standard tyres. Obviously you would be able to travel faster and safer w/ winter ones but it IS manageable if you didn't get any put on.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Zeev - I haven't started looking into this yet, although I really need to start looking sooner rather than later.

I will post up my costing when I get it. But I definately put Winter's on.

By the way are you putting mud flaps on yours? I have in the past just because the salt on the roads is so damn hard on the cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zeev - I haven't started looking into this yet, although I really need to start looking sooner rather than later.

I will post up my costing when I get it. But I definately put Winter's on.

By the way are you putting mud flaps on yours? I have in the past just because the salt on the roads is so damn hard on the cars.
Mudflaps and "premium floor mats" were part of the deal for my LTZ.... I agree we need mudflaps for winter.

If we have enough interest maybe we can even look into doing a group buy for Winter Tires/Rims in Ontario?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Currently the only Snows Available for stock 18" is a Bridgestone Blizzak for about $728 on Tire Direct (not including shipping or mounting).

I am currently looking into a 17" tire package which is going to run me about $1100 for alloy wheels, tire pressure monitors, stems and either Pirelli 210 SnowPort or I am hoping that the Michelin Xice Xi2 is available at the end of the month.

My thought is to spend a little more on a tire package because with the tire pressure monitors the $40 tire change-over is no longer. I have been told that change overs are now going to be approximately $60 or more. There are a lot more options for 17".

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Update: After more research and finding out that the Michelin Xice XI2 tires will now not be available until the end of October, I have decided to go with the 17" package with the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
I only live in New England, United States so our winters are quite different I'm sure.. but from what I have heard from the other Malibu owners is these actually do quite well in the snow with the standard tyres. Obviously you would be able to travel faster and safer w/ winter ones but it IS manageable if you didn't get any put on.
I never had winter tires either, winters here are not that consistent. But the last one was extremely snowy, so I might actually go for it....Haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never had winter tires either, winters here are not that consistent. But the last one was extremely snowy, so I might actually go for it....Haven't decided yet.

I have a tough choice, my LTZ has 18' performance tires, that came with the car. I am afraid that this winte rmight be a bad one. Been shopping around and the cheapest I have found is 1200+tax for Nexenn tires and rims.

Or if I go with the dealership 1300 tax included for RIMS and tires. Keep in mind this is Canadian prices. I am sure I could find cheaper prices in the U.S of course..

I have looked at tirerack.com and it seems to cost about the same when I include duties and taxes...Anyone from Niagara Falls N.Y on this board who have a good shop to go to?"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Zeev: Dont know if you have a Sam's Club in your area or if you are a member, but if you get 215 60R16 's (same outside diamater as 18' tires) including the rims are only 668.00 plus tax. Tires were BFG winter slalom.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zeev: Dont know if you have a Sam's Club in your area or if you are a member, but if you get 215 60R16 's (same outside diamater as 18' tires) including the rims are only 668.00 plus tax. Tires were BFG winter slalom.
I'm in Kitchener so I could always go to the one in Cambridge might have to drop by and see for myself. Another wrinkle is if you have tire pressure on your Malibu they are built into the tire and some shops won't replace tires because they don't have the equipment etc..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your 100% correct, Sams club wont touch the tires with TMPS I called and checked today. He told me that they have ruined them in the past.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your 100% correct, Sams club wont touch the tires with TMPS I called and checked today. He told me that they have ruined them in the past.
GRR looks like the dealership is the way to go... 1300 tax included for XICE 225/60 R17 tires +Rims installed balanced etc... Plus if I go back for the 6 month maintenance they will replace the tires for my all season performance tires for free

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well now winter tires are law in Quebec starting Nov. 15 I believe...FINALLY WE DID SOMETHING RIGHT! lol I'm getting mine put on in a week or so, thankfully I negotiated them into the deal when I bought my car a week ago. ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
hopefully that does not apply to all Sams regarding the tpms... they would be pretty dumb to exclude EVERY new vehicle from 09 on.

If they follow the recommended practices and trained their employees, there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hopefully that does not apply to all Sams regarding the tpms... they would be pretty dumb to exclude EVERY new vehicle from 09 on.

If they follow the recommended practices and trained their employees, there shouldn't be a problem.
My understanding its about having the right equipment to balance the car.. I am pretty sure that my tires have TPMS built into them and because of that most tire shops can't touch my tires.. So it limits my choices for buying winter tires..

Also because of the law in Quebec requiring winter tires selection for winter tires are limited as the supply has decreased drastically in Canada.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My understanding its about having the right equipment to balance the car.. I am pretty sure that my tires have TPMS built into them and because of that most tire shops can't touch my tires.. So it limits my choices for buying winter tires..

Also because of the law in Quebec requiring winter tires selection for winter tires are limited as the supply has decreased drastically in Canada.

Question for folks will installing new wheels and tires without TPMS cause any issues? Its much cheaper to go without the tire pressure gauge... Stinks that I have 18' Wheels... They look so nice but winter tires are so bloody expensive!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doh - Get a nice cheap set of 16" or 17" steel wheels for your much less expensive winter performance tires. Taller and skinnier tires are ALWAYS better in snow on top of the advantages of all the new grip technology. Any competent source can get you the right stuff, handling WILL NOT suffer in any way. I certainly wouldn't run my wide 18s in snow and on ice it would be suicidal!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doh - Get a nice cheap set of 16" or 17" steel wheels for your much less expensive winter performance tires. Taller and skinnier tires are ALWAYS better in snow on top of the advantages of all the new grip technology. Any competent source can get you the right stuff, handling WILL NOT suffer in any way. I certainly wouldn't run my wide 18s in snow and on ice it would be suicidal!
I've been looking at getting a set of 16' tires however I have a question. I currently have the tire pressure gauges installed on my wheels. If I replace my 18' wheels and tires with 16' wheels (with no tire pressure gauge) and tires will this cause any damage to the car?

From what I can understand my Info center will read low pressure since their are no pressure gauges and give me a warning. Will the warning be audible or simply text?

Can the warning light be turned off?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I cannot speak to the factory-installed TPMS issue directly although I suspect it is rather simple to disable the sensor reporting system, GM had to have thought about winter tire users... I use the Hella brand aftermarket system, extra sensors are only $60 each so a second set could be used. I'll assume the GM ones are more but possibly still a reasonable option, ask the dealership parts guys.

That being said - As long as your winter tire/wheel package has the same overall diameter (height from ground to top of rubber - any competent tire shop will know) the speedometer and everything will be unaffected. You may notice a slight change in handling characteristics which is normal but not at all dangerous to anything mechanical, you DO drive slower in winter (especially snow) than is summer - right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
My understanding its about having the right equipment to balance the car.. I am pretty sure that my tires have TPMS built into them and because of that most tire shops can't touch my tires..
Actually TPMS is just a fancy valve stem with a sensor block on the inside of the wheel. The problem is NOT in balancing as the units weigh very little. The issue is training the tire monkeys to be careful! The machines/levers/tools used can easily damage the sensor modules if they don't pay attention. Any truly good/competent shop can do them properly.

Sidenote: On my car we took the existing tire/wheel combos and located where the weights were attached. This is opposite the heaviest part of the tire. We marked the heavy spot on the tire (remember it is opposite the weight) before unmounting the tires. We then installed the TPMS sensors to the wheels. When re-mounting the tires we made sure the marked 'heavy' side was opposite the TPMS sensors. When we proceeded to rebalance the assemblies two of them required no weights at all - perfect balance! It was more work but according to my tire guy wheels are generally very well balance themselves, it is the rubber that isn't so consistent... Not a lot of extra work for a very nice result!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.