Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested. I posted this in my other car forum. I’ve gotten wireless CarPlay working. It’s great. The dongle costs about $125. Not cheap but I love it. LMK if there are any questions.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well scratch that thought. It did work on my old car. No go on the Malibu or my wife’s Equinox with the same MyLink system. Too bad.

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
18,874 Posts
Dang, it sounded so promising!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It really is great if it works for a given vehicle. Would have been especially good with the Malibu wireless charging. I tried everything I could to try to get it to work here including trying to manually update firmware but just doesn’t work. Frustrating as the seller shows ‘Chevrolet 2016-2020’ as supported on their site. :-(

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can use bluetooth to stream any kind of music from an Android phone or tablet to the console. I use this to play lossless files with only the minor compression that bluetooth uses.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes but I’m looking for a full CarPlay wireless option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2020 Malibu LT has anyone found a CarPlay dongle that works with this? I thought maybe CPlay2Air but after seeing this thread I'm not so sure anymore.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the latest firmware for CarPlay2Air/Carlinkit does work. I no longer have my Malibu but I’ll try it in my wife’s Equinox with the identical MyLink system once the temperature gets about zero here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, Dan the good news is the dongle will work now. The tricky news is you’ll need to have a pretty current version of the firmware. There’s no guarantee that the ones being shipped will have a current enough version that will work for you.

Whatever you do do NOT buy from the CarPlay2Air site. These identical dongles are sold under the CarLinkit brand on Amazon. At least you can easily return it if needed. There are two options for you. One easy, one not so much. Once you get it if you can get it working straight away, great. If not and if you can get it connected via a different vehicle then you can quickly do an OTA update to get it to the most recent version which will then work in the Malibu.

If access to a different vehicle is needed but not available you can still do a manual update via a USB drive. Here’s a 200 plus page forum that will boggle you with info but the very first post is very informative.

One last caution. Be sure to get the proper version on AMZ. There are several listed but many (cheaper ones) are for 3rd party head units running an Android OS. You want the ones that say ‘for wired OEM CarPlay’ systems. This is the one I bought.

I hope this helps. Good luck and reach back out if you have more questions. Good luck.

Reactions: DrivenDaily

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, Dan the good news is the dongle will work now. The tricky news is you’ll need to have a pretty current version of the firmware. There’s no guarantee that the ones being shipped will have a current enough version that will work for you.

Whatever you do do NOT buy from the CarPlay2Air site. These identical dongles are sold under the CarLinkit brand on Amazon. At least you can easily return it if needed. There are two options for you. One easy, one not so much. Once you get it if you can get it working straight away, great. If not and if you can get it connected via a different vehicle then you can quickly do an OTA update to get it to the most recent version which will then work in the Malibu.

If access to a different vehicle is needed but not available you can still do a manual update via a USB drive. Here’s a 200 plus page forum that will boggle you with info but the very first post is very informative.

One last caution. Be sure to get the proper version on AMZ. There are several listed but many (cheaper ones) are for 3rd party head units running an Android OS. You want the ones that say ‘for wired OEM CarPlay’ systems. This is the one I bought.

I hope this helps. Good luck and reach back out if you have more questions. Good luck.
Many thanks! I will check into the Amazon ones and make sure to look for the oem CarPlay version.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dongle I got arrived today. I plugged it into the 2020 Malibu and it came right up. I connected to it on my iPhone and selected CarPlay and that loaded up and I'm pleased with how well it works. I ran power off the dongle to a wireless charger mount and stuck my iPhone 12 Pro on it and went for a test drive and it worked very well. Thanks again for the help dequardo!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts