Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the Samsung 8Plus, and I took out the rubber piece and cut a piece of styrofoam to take up the space so it will not move. Haven't had a problem charging at this time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just acquired a new Iphone 10. I didn't think the charging would work and confirmed that it didn't.

The car "sees" the phone but didn't charge any after an hour of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
When I initially inserted my Note 8, I got a new row of options on the bottom of the car's screen. Nothing since and the phone doesn't charge. It doesn't recognize the phone.
Oh well, I don't know if it would start Android Auto via the wireless charging slot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm going to 'open up' the width of the rubber surround a bit for a better fit for my plus size phone.

Anyone have tips/advise/experience on running a cable and installing into the bottom of the rubber housing to act as a 'Docking Station'

Wireless is cool but useless as I want the CarPlay/AndroidAuto functionality all the time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I heard the Iphone 10 wireless charging would not work with a magnet attached. I removed the magnet I use to attach to my car and tried. Still nothing.

The display shows that there is a wireless device charging but I get nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
The message that you are showing is not saying it’s charging but instead saying you have something foreign in the slot, read your manual and only put in a phone facing forward.

If I throw keys into the slot or something metal really close I have gotten the same thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have an incompatible phone, LG G6, with a slim case and was constantly dealing with the bolt icon showing up and then quickly disappearing. I decided to use a utility knife to remove the majority of front of the the rubber sleeve which you can see in the picture. Now I have no issues with wireless charging and it's easier to slide the phone in and out of the sleeve.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had to make some modifications in order for wireless charging to work reliably on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. First I tried cutting out part of the rubber pocket liner as described in an earlier post. That didn't help enough. Then I tried a few different cases on my phone, and had pretty good luck with a thin, clear, TPU case. It seemed to work OK if the rubber liner was removed from the pocket, so I then built a foam spacer to put in the rear part of the pocket so that it would hold the phone in place when charging (see pictures). The foam that I used was found on eBay. It is black, 20mm thick foam that is used for aquarium filtering. It cost $.77, and there was enough to make 3 or 4 spacers, so if I screwed one up, I could make another. I cut out two pieces of cardboard from a breakfast cereal box and glued them to the front and back of the foam. The one on the front is 1/2 inch longer than the foam and I bent it 45 degrees. The purpose of that is to guide the phone into place when inserting it. The front piece also allows the phone to slide in better than if it were just sliding against the foam, which tends to grab the phone. The cardboard piece on the back is just there to act as a spacer to take up a little space.

There is a hole in the bottom of the pocket. Air comes out of that hole. I think it is intended to be cooling air to keep the phone cool during charging. With the rubber liner removed, there seems to be a lot of air flow coming from that hole, so I closed most of it off by stuffing some cloth in the hole.

It seems to charge pretty reliably now. I expect there would be problems, though, with a thicker case.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm not all that impressed with the wireless charging slot as my Galaxy S6 with an Otter Box Commuter case won't charge and barely fits in the slot. Most people use cases to protect their phones plus phones aren't going to get any smaller in the near future. The wireless slot is a great idea but was poorly implemented by GM.
I agree, no phone we have will even fit in the slot in its case. Useless to me!

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
So what Apple I-Phone works in the Slot??
I don't think any do without an addon accessory as no iPhone prior to the 8 had built-in wireless charging. The 8 and X do work in some 2018s (no Malibus) and some 2019s. The Samsung S6, S7, and S8 are all still compatible. Here is the latest compatibility list as of March 1 2018: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

Based on the apple forums and their endless trouble threads about Apple's wireless charging, the implementation in the iPhone 8 and iPhone X adheres to the older v1.1 Qi standard. The Samsung phones use the newer v1.2 Qi standard. These standards relate to maximum charging speed and possible energy transfer. Samsung phones like the S8 follow v1.2 so can charge at a full 15W. Usually those standards maintain backwards compatibility. My guess is GM didn't maintain backwards compatibility and just implemented to v1.2 spec and is now reworking to accommodate the older standard. Kind of funny as users will move on to the next iPhone 9 or Xs or whatever by then and probably support the newer standard anyway.

Some other links/sources:
Galaxy S8 Wireless Charging still better than the iPhone 8 - Qi Wireless Charging
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/14/ios-11-2-faster-wireless-charging-iphone-x/

·
Administrator
2011 Malibu LTZ 3.6L V6 Red Jewel Tintcoat
17,637 Posts
Funny you mention Galaxy S8. I have an S8+ but still don't feel like spending $30K for a "fast" charger. My Gen7 is plenty fast! ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I've got a 2016 Malibu Premier and just today bought an iPhone XR. Doesn't seem to be compatible:(
Shouldn't I be able to use an iPhone in the charging pocket or is Apple still not wanting to "play nice" with this technology. Thanks

21 - 40 of 76 Posts