Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply back. Did you DIY it and if so what model charger did you replace it with? Or did you take it in to the dealer? How much $. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu and a Samsung Galaxy S10 that does not seem to charge in the wireless charging slot. It does work on other wireless chargers. Does my car need an system update? Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I own a 2016 Chevrolet Malibu and a Samsung Galaxy S10 that does not seem to charge in the wireless charging slot. It does work on other wireless chargers. Does my car need an system update? Does anyone else have this problem?
You need the hardware upgraded. GM's supplier wasn't up to par with the wireless charging hardware in the early (first couple of years) generation 9 Malibus. Not GM's fault, IMO. GM can't be experts on everything and so their supplier took advantage and sent them subpar (old version) hardware. America doesn't excel in electronics like we used to, yes, we used to. Google the history of how the Pulsar (formerly owned by Hamilton Watch Co before it was bought by a Swiss company and sold Pulsar to Seiko) watch came to be. Many American companies came together from Corning for the "glass" to RCA, to Optel and many more. That doesn't happen anymore. LG and Samsung are electronic leaders and are Korean. Sony, JVC/Kenwood are electronic leaders and are Japanese. This is the future. With electric cars it is the same. LG Chem is Korean and Panasonic is Japanese. They are the Lithium battery leaders.

But alas, there is a newer version of the hardware that can be put in your car but a dealer will either not do it or charge you way too much because many don't understand the importance of keeping customers happy. I figured out a way to upgrade my own. It was around $70 for the hardware from GM parts store online.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2016 hybrid. My Galaxy S9 would not charge while in its case. I took the "boot" out of the charger slot and when the phone was held against the front of the now empty slot it charged fine while in its case.
I cut a "window" on the front of the boot, replaced it in the slot and the phone now charges just fine while in its case.
YMMV.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I found that our Motorola Droid Turbo's will charge in the charging slot if taken out of their case; unfortunately unless I remove the phone case or butcher or remove the rubber sleeve of the charger, I cannot use this feature.

My question is; what phones were the engineers anticipating we would be placing in this slot. Most phones in use today barely fit even without a case on them? :unsure:

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
[/QUOTE]
GM also hasn't done much to maintain a current compatibility list. Last one I have (Nov 2018) is here: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

The compatibility list does help with some specifics of what, why, how, etc for various model years and various phones. It also has the bulletin that gets the upgraded charger installed.
Here's more on the charger update:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=9762

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
Here's more on the charger update:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=9762
And here's even more... the bulletin for the gen2 wireless charging kit. Interesting of note is the Malibu-specific procedure for installation (with pics). That might explain why a couple forum members installed this new kit and said it didn't fit or wasn't working. Others probably figured out the mods necessary. Perhaps it will help a DIY'er.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found that our Motorola Droid Turbo's will charge in the charging slot if taken out of their case; unfortunately unless I remove the phone case or butcher or remove the rubber sleeve of the charger, I cannot use this feature.

My question is; what phones were the engineers anticipating we would be placing in this slot. Most phones in use today barely fit even without a case on them? :unsure:

You don't need to "butcher" Cut a approx 2"x2" square out of the front of the sleeve beginning an inch or so down. Except for the fact that you can now charge....no one will notice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You don't need to "butcher" Cut a approx 2"x2" square out of the front of the sleeve beginning an inch or so down. Except for the fact that you can now charge....no one will notice.
It's more the width that prevents the insertion into the slot. Our phones will fit without the cases installed, but are somewhat a force fit.

I cannot easily remove my case, so mine will continue to use the wired connection, the wife's case is more easily removed, and she may use the feature if necessary.

As it's her daily driver, I seldom would need to use the charger anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's more the width that prevents the insertion into the slot. Our phones will fit without the cases installed, but are somewhat a force fit.

I cannot easily remove my case, so mine will continue to use the wired connection, the wife's case is more easily removed, and she may use the feature if necessary.

As it's her daily driver, I seldom would need to use the charger anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Got it. My LG G6 would not fit with the case, the S9 barely fits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need the hardware upgraded. GM's supplier wasn't up to par with the wireless charging hardware in the early (first couple of years) generation 9 Malibus. Not GM's fault, IMO. GM can't be experts on everything and so their supplier took advantage and sent them subpar (old version) hardware. America doesn't excel in electronics like we used to, yes, we used to. Google the history of how the Pulsar (formerly owned by Hamilton Watch Co before it was bought by a Swiss company and sold Pulsar to Seiko) watch came to be. Many American companies came together from Corning for the "glass" to RCA, to Optel and many more. That doesn't happen anymore. LG and Samsung are electronic leaders and are Korean. Sony, JVC/Kenwood are electronic leaders and are Japanese. This is the future. With electric cars it is the same. LG Chem is Korean and Panasonic is Japanese. They are the Lithium battery leaders.

But alas, there is a newer version of the hardware that can be put in your car but a dealer will either not do it or charge you way too much because many don't understand the importance of keeping customers happy. I figured out a way to upgrade my own. It was around $70 for the hardware from GM parts store online.
Jojeeka - I found out from the dealer that it would cost me $500 bucks for them to upgrade the module. Can you tell me what you did with a bit more detail to solve the issue? $70 bucks I can handle. I would really appreciate it.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this tip. I was thinking the same thing. What phone wasn't working for you, and is it working now that you made a cut in the front?

41 - 60 of 76 Posts