Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you! I'm going to try this with my LG G7. Per the 2018 compatibility list, the G6 worked, so hoping that cutting out a window will help on my G7. Thanks again!
Follow-up to my experiment -

It worked! The LG G7 ThinQ works great with the back and bottom cut out. Works all the time without a case - and a few times it's worked WITH a thin case. I bought the sleeve at the local Chevy dealer so that I could keep the original sleeve intact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone done this swap with a iPhone 11PM to confirm it will charge with the new unit?
I tried my mod with an iPhone 10, and it doesn't work, so I'm guessing the iPhone 11 won't work either.

I'm thinking that the wireless charging coil and the iPhone's charge receiver in the phone don't align - even if the phone fits into the slot.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried my mod with an iPhone 10, and it doesn't work, so I'm guessing the iPhone 11 won't work either.

I'm thinking that the wireless charging coil and the iPhone's charge receiver in the phone don't align - even if the phone fits into the slot.
For anyone seeking the most recent GM wireless charging compatibility list, here is the most recent list dated August 2019: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

The list also has the bulletin number for the 2nd gen charging module if a swap is necessary. That bulletin is HERE.

Sounds like that's a no go, maybe someday lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
For anyone seeking the most recent GM wireless charging compatibility list, here is the most recent list dated August 2019: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

The list also has the bulletin number for the 2nd gen charging module if a swap is necessary. That bulletin is HERE.
This most recent list is pretty pitiful. More "No" compatibility than "yes" unless you have a large vehicle.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
This most recent list is pretty pitiful. More "No" compatibility than "yes" unless you have a large vehicle.
It's rough for Apple phones but I don't really blame GM. Samsung was smart and rigorously adhered to the latest Qi standard so their S6/S8/S9/S10 have always been compatible. Apple was slow to get on board with wireless charging and even now can't get the spec right. The mfg of the charger has to keep figuring out what corner Apple cut next. Great hardware, not always the best execution.

Here is the latest compatibility list: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/static/pageImages/learnAbout/articles/documents/GM_Wireless_Charging_Compatible_Device.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased my 2017 Malibu last year. I was looking into charging options that go beyond simply plugging in a USB cable & while checking the manual, I came across the ability to wirelessly charge one's phone in what I thought was simply a handy pen holder slot LOL. So I grabbed my son's S7 Edge to test & sure enough the infotainment system showed a lightning bolt. But like some of the comments in this thread, it would appear to stop charging after about 10 seconds. Also it would frequently show the symbols at the bottom indicating there may be a foreign object in the slot etc. (even though there was nothing else in the slot).

I found this forum after some searching & look forward to learning more about the Chevy Malibu. I read this entire thread & I'm guessing that I probably have the Gen I wireless charging module. Here are my questions:

• What's the best way to confirm which module I have?
  • For those that have installed the Gen II module, does it seem to work well? Or have many of you had to cut a hole in the pouch to make it work better?
  • Is it worth installing the Gen II module? Or do you think it's better to just use a cable or maybe a wireless charger mounted somewhere (vent, dash, etc.)?
  • Has anyone tried to make a very large phone such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ work with the wireless charging slot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know or have tried replacing the USB module that comes with the car with the USB-C?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just tried my new iPhone SE (2020) and it won't charge in my 2018. Fits great in the slot with it being a iPhone 7/8 body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since I posted a month ago, I got a new Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Despite its large size, it just barely fits in the charging slot. However, it does not charge. Since I like to use my phone in a case which will make it even bigger (& too big to fit the slot), I guess it's not worth trying to make the slot work. Not only that, in order to use Android Auto, it has to be plugged in via a USB cable anyway. I don't think my head unit supports Android Auto Wireless.

·
Elite Moderator
2016 Malibu 1LT 1.5T
2,379 Posts
Since I posted a month ago, I got a new Samsung Galaxy Note 10+. Despite its large size, it just barely fits in the charging slot. However, it does not charge. Since I like to use my phone in a case which will make it even bigger (& too big to fit the slot), I guess it's not worth trying to make the slot work. Not only that, in order to use Android Auto, it has to be plugged in via a USB cable anyway. I don't think my head unit supports Android Auto Wireless.
This is all in the compatibility list linked above. If you want compatibility look to the Galaxy S8, S9, S10 and S10e. A member has recently reported the S20 also works. If you update the charger per the bulletin you can then also use the plus versions. GM didn't do much for phablet support on the small-midsize cars. As for Android Auto wireless, the spec was only finalized about a year ago and started appearing in aftermarket units late last fall. I doubt you will see that integrated into factory capability until 2021 cars at the earliest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good to know, thanks. I did check the compatibility list & the only thing I did not know was if by chance the wireless charger was upgraded to Gen II by a previous owner of the car, which I doubt.

I couldn't find any info or anything that would help determine whether Android Auto Wireless works in my car or not, & what it takes for it to work. My car has built-in Wifi so I didn't know if that was good enough, or if a head unit specifically designed for Android Auto was required.

In any event, I'll just keep plugging in the phone. Happy to have Android Auto in the 1st place which is a big step up from my previous car.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts