Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ran earlier went inside came out, nothing but tick each time I turn it. SO I tried jumping it and normally always works for me. But it makes a cough but thats it. Weird thing is that the radio and lights in car will come on. Power locks and trunk are dead still though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
knowing which engine you have may help but it could just be a really dead battery. but if you have had to jump it before there could be more problems. try checking all of your grounds and battery cables. here is a question with the lights and radio on when you turn the key does it make a click and then everything go off? or does everything stay on?

also if the battery is good then it could simply be your starter. but check the things above first

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
radio lights stay on in acc, I used a speedycharge to get it to 100% barely got much of anything from doing it. It's an 2005 with only 64k on it v6

·
Registered
307 Posts
radio lights stay on in acc, I used a speedycharge to get it to 100% barely got much of anything from doing it. It's an 2005 with only 64k on it v6
the battery is fairly easy to pop off if a remember right. (i don't think it is one of those crazy gm ones where they are hidden all the way on the bottom under a ton of shit but i may be wrong) Take the battery to a parts store and have them charge it and do a load test. may take 30-45 mins depending on how dead the battery is. in that time. follow the battery ground wire and make sure there is nothing wrong with it and that it connects fine both ways. and clean the hell out of the terminals on the battery cables. if the battery is truely good then get it back on and start from there (also before i forget if you have a gm battery the "green" and "red" dots are generally wrong, you will know what i am talking about) if it starts then drive it to the parts store again. I know at o'reily's they can test the alt while it is on the car... (just trying to be sure here)

if the battery test bad...then get a new one and agian drive it o the parts store to test the alt..

if battery is good and car will not start either look for more grounds or try the starter. generally the starter is two main bolts. 2-3 wire (mark these when you take them off. colored zip ties work wonders) and then possibly a cover on the starter (that would be the first to come off)

the starter is where the engine and tranny meet if you didn't know

have the starter test...if it test fine...back to ground issues

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.