1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just showed up on the GM website!

Linkey

Edit:
Well I just got it installed. Ran me $231 after tax. $159 for the cable and $62 for labor. I have to say, the interface absolutely blows ass and the manual that comes with it is an abomination. It is very difficult to figure out how to use at first. Took me 20 minutes sitting in the car to figure out how to get it to go through my playlists. The interface is really slow at bringing up items. Also a huge point of annoyance, it doesn't remember the order of your shuffle, so if you set your Ipod to random, and then try to skip back to the song that the ipod just played, it wont work... the damn thing will play a different song. Switching between songs using either the steering wheel or stereo results in at least a 2 second delay. This can result in you showing the song of the next track even though the first one is still playing. Although the fast forward buttons are supposed to work, I can't find them actually doing anything at all.

They have to run a cable to the trunk to your XM unit. You need to go throught the radio bands to select XM which will then recognize your ipod.

Overall, I'm mildly disappointed in this damn thing because the interface eats ass big time. It is nice to have hands free and the audio quality does sound better because its digital and not an analog cable. I think over time I'll get used to it, and hopefully like it more, but theres a big learning curve right now which makes it a pain.

Pics are below of the install and interface. On the positive side, the cable seems a decent length, and the dealer said he could route it anywhere I wanted it. I chose the glovebox.

Edit2: Revised impressions after 5 days.

Well I've gotten more used to using the friggin thing. You need to be more patient with it. As you navigate through the menu and choose songs, playlists, artists etc, you need to wait for 2 seconds. Then the next list will pop up and you can scroll through that to make it select what you want to listen to.

Hitting seek on the radio face will get you to the next track quicker, I just wish I could do it quicker with the steering wheel.

The lack of remembering the shuffle order still is a complete joke.

After 5 days, I'd raise the score of the cable from a 5/10 to a 7/10.

·
Registered
701 Posts
$160 - Geesh that's a little steep....and it doesn't include installation.

Oh well....the price for luxury and convenience.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

A small price to pay so I don't ram my new malibu into the back of someone while trying to change the songs on my ipod nano.

I can't wait to be able to change the songs via my radio or steering wheel!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer said $45 to install it. Unforunately no stock available, but they're going to put in an order and call me when it comes in.

·
Registered
10 Posts

People pay a lot for HDMI cables for their big screen HDTV's too when the actual cost is pretty low ($80 at BestBuy vs. $25 on the web).

Install for this is also should be pretty quick as it's plug and play.

·
Registered
701 Posts
People pay a lot for HDMI cables for their big screen HDTV's too when the actual cost is pretty low ($80 at BestBuy vs. $25 on the web).

Install for this is also should be pretty quick as it's plug and play.
Good Point....I gues I am just a cheap bugger!!! Funny how when you buy a new car, the cost of the car is not the actual price you ever pay....after you own it still costs you money to get all the "luxury" items to go with it!

Now my problem will be seeing when they bring this into Canada.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got an Email from my dealer that the cable came in Friday. Going to try to make an appointment to get it installed this week. I'll take pics when it's in :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I got an Email from my dealer that the cable came in Friday. Going to try to make an appointment to get it installed this week. I'll take pics when it's in :)
BuckyFan...

SWEET!!!! I am anxious to see what it looks like, and how well it interfaces with the car.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
QUESTION:
Will this cable also control the iPhone?

Now that the new 3G iPhones are coming out next month I'm considering getting one but my friend informed me that i-products are somtimes particular about their own equipment. you may be able to connect them but not use the features it offers. Can anyone verify that for me please?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.