Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a 2008 1LT Malibu.

Ceramic film kind of too expensive for me, the search I did seems
indicate that metallic film will impact the antenna inside window.

Isn't there an outside antenna on top of back window ?
Then how can the film impact it ? Does 2008 M'bu have another build-in antenna?

Anyone did a metallic tint and experienced any problem with your
FM or your own GPS (not the OnStar one) ?

I don't care about AM reception since I am not gonna listen it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The antenna on the roof is for the XM and I guess could be for the Onstar - the AM/FM antenna is built into the rear window between/around the defroster lines. If you put metallic tint on there it *may*impact reception. I had metallic tint on my '04 Grand prix with the same setup and it seemed to limit how far out I could hear a station. I.E. I can drive further out from my home city and get those stations in the Malibu with no tint so far.

Matt

·
Registered
20 Posts
GPS - Are you talking about a dash top aftermarket unit? If you're not putting the tint on the windshield then it won't be a problem. I haven't tried it with tint on the windshield.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Metallic tint just bends radio waves, so your only problem with a metallic tint would be AM/FM waves. Satellite and OnStar works through the top antenna, which would not be affected by it.

If you'd like metallic and do not use AM/FM radio, go for it. But I'd be careful with it if you do listen to them, because I have seen a buddy do the same to his Dodge and he could not even get a single station on FM. It just all depends, I'd say.

I am a firm believer of ceramic tints anyways. Biased opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I listen to NRP a lot, so FM is a must. I was told I could choose either plastic or ceramic film. Ceramic is more expensive, of course. I am wondering whether there is a good plastic one that can hold five, sixe years ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.