Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought in Chicago my loaded 2008 2LT back in Dec. 2008 and hauled it to Phoenix where I spend my winters. I am very satisfied with my choice- no problems what's over after 27K miles! Now I am planing my next purchase in Chicago this spring and I am debating between Malibu and Fusion-wife says let's drive a different car while in Chicago during summer. I run Edmunds between the two fully loaded cars and Malibu is $1k less. My friends are suggesting to consider as well the Sonata and Optima but I want as always to buy American not European or Asian cars. Has anybody run a real buy comparison - pros-cons between the two? There are some posts on the net but I will appreciate your real input decision for buying the Malibu instead of Fusion. Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
If I were to buy a Ford sedan I say check out the new Taurus. I test drove a Fusion and was not impressed. The Sonata's look nice, but not a big fan of Asian imports. I don't mind European imports personally. My best advice is to test drive them all and see what you think. Then compare crash test ratings and overall cost (insurance, gas, maintenance, etc).

·
Banned
812 Posts
Personally, I would wait for the 2012 Malibu redesign! If you feel the need to buy now, the Ford Fusion is something to not over look! If you are comparing the Malibu LTZ 3.6L with the Fusion than you need to compare the right model! Fusion Sport is a 3.5L Duratec not a 3.0L!

Even though I like the Malibu and plan on keeping mine, I have to say the Fusion has more to offer! If you plan on driving in any winter conditions the Fusion offers AWD option! There are many option that the current Malibu does not offer! “If you want to compare apple to apples” Don’t take me wrong the Malibu is a Beautiful car but Ford has more to offer as of right now!

That’s why I suggest wait for the 2012 Malibu redesign!

Want a nice car, look at the new Ford Taurus!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have you checked the insurance rates of some of the imports? My wife's 2011 Mazda3 insurance rate for 6 months was $170.00 more than my 2009 Malibu! :eek:

·
Banned
812 Posts
Have you checked the insurance rates of some of the imports? My wife's 2011 Mazda3 insurance rate for 6 months was $170.00 more than my 2009 Malibu! :eek:

I would not doubt it! I am thinking that the Mazda 3 would attract a lot of young drivers and the fact it is a fun car to drive! I know someone who just traded one in for the CX9 for their growing family!

Imports? I know Mazda was once an import before Ford bought them out, All part of the Ford Motor Company Now!

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
Imports? I know Mazda was once an import before Ford bought them out, All part of the Ford Motor Company Now!
Incorrect. Ford never bought them out. They bought a small portion, which was recently sold back to Mazda. They do partner on some items, but nothing more.

On November 18, 2008, Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda, bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company. The following day, Mazda announced that, as part of the deal, it was buying back 6.8% of its shares from Ford. On November 18, 2010, Ford reduced their stake further to just 3%, citing the reduction of ownership would allow greater flexiblity to pursue growth in emerging markets. Ford and Mazda remain strategic partners through joint ventures and exchanges of technological information.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
My insurance only went up $35 every six months for my Speed3 over the Malibu. So it depends....

To the OP. I have to admit that I think the new Fusion is a better car then the Malibu. From the reviews I have read and I have one friend who went from a Malibu to Fusion and loves it.

·
CMF Honorary Member
4,732 Posts
Why wait for the 2012 redesign? It looks very "boxy" and cheap compared to the classy look of the 2008-2011 models.
How can you say that when all anyone has seen are test mules? I hope you're not making judgment on all the test mule pics posted....there has not been one production image released yet. Believe me, the new car will be better then the current one. They have to make it much better or it will never compete in the segment....

·
Banned
812 Posts
Incorrect. Ford never bought them out. They bought a small portion, which was recently sold back to Mazda. They do partner on some items, but nothing more.

On November 18, 2008, Ford announced that it would be selling a 20% stake in Mazda, bringing its stake to 13.4%, and surrendering control of the company. The following day, Mazda announced that, as part of the deal, it was buying back 6.8% of its shares from Ford. On November 18, 2010, Ford reduced their stake further to just 3%, citing the reduction of ownership would allow greater flexiblity to pursue growth in emerging markets. Ford and Mazda remain strategic partners through joint ventures and exchanges of technological information.

OK, I learned something new! I know our current ford dealer sells them!

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
Well, it's not fair to compare the Fusion SEL 3.0 V6 to an Malibu LTZ 3.6 V6. It is however, fair to compare it to a Fusion Sport, with the 3.5 V6...

Fusion Sport Pro's
- 2010 MCE
- Available Touch Screen Navigation
- Back Up Camera/Sensors
- Dual Zone Climate Control
- Keyless Entry Keypad on Door
- Standard Spoiler
- Monochrome Grille
- Available AWD
- 263 Horsepower
- Descent Handling
- SYNC
- "Sporty" looking

Fusion Sport Con's
- Made in Mexico
- 249 TQ at a High RPM (4500)
- Less Classy
- Bad Tail Lights
- Fuel Economy
- Gets Pricey with Options
- Unknown Reliability
- Chassis May Be too Firm
- Obtuse Interior
- Dated Side Profile
- Insipidly shaped Key
- It's a Ford :p

Malibu LTZ Pro's
- Luxurious Interior
- Classy Exterior
- Powerful Low End Torque (251 TQ at 3200 RPM)
- Exhaust Note
- Descent Handling
- Made In America
- Bose Sound System
- Standard Remote Start
- OnStar
- Chassis
- Not Too Hard/Not Too Soft Ride
- Looks More Expensive than it is
- Faster than the Fusion to 60 and the Quarter Mile

Malibu LTZ Con's
- Some Cheap Plastic
- Fuel Economy
- Artificially Weighted Steering
- Huge A-Pillar Blind Spot
- Front Wheel Drive
- Decontented Over the Years
- No BLIS (Blind Spot Warning)
- No Navigation Option
- No Dual Climate Control
- No Back Up Camera/Sensors
- Gets Pricey with Options

·
Administrator
16,621 Posts
Hey, that's a pretty fair comparison. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
Hey, that's a pretty fair comparison. Thanks!

Not a problem man!

Don't waste your time on a Fusion, just go with the bad boy Taurus SHO :D:D:D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wouldn't even waste my time on the Taurus SHO, either. I'd get a G37 for the same price. It's a true performance car (RWD) and is faster than the SHO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
That Taurus SHO is a nice looking ride but an AWD version will cost you close to $40K. I agree with EnvoyBu, you can find a lot of nice rides in that price range!

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
That Taurus SHO is a nice looking ride but an AWD version will cost you close to $40K. I agree with EnvoyBu, you can find a lot of nice rides in that price range!

Even a 335i is about that much. And that car is pure sex when it comes to driving!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your input. I will test drive both fusion sport (I am not a spoiler fan) and the Taurus. SHO is beyond my budget. I will keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
1,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
10 Participants
EnvoyBu
Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Chevy Malibu Forum is the best place for owners of the sedan to connect with the community and discuss MPG, mods, and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing